Wiring electric hob and oven

Wunga

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 09:34 am
Hello folks.

I have had a complete house rewire last month and all 17th edition certified.

The electrician also wired up the new oven and hob.

My question is this: When I switch on the hob at the wall socket, it also seems to bring power to the oven as the timer starts to flash which is quite annoying.

I checked behind the oven and it appears both the hob and oven are wired into the CCU, therefore this would appear to explain why the power supply to both oven and hob are controlled by the 1 switch above the worktop.

Is this the correct wiring procedure, and if not, am I within my rights to recall the electrician to rectify it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Cheers
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 714 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 11:53 am
@Wunga,
Wunga whatsa hob
engineer

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 12:01 pm
@dalehileman,
Apparently, a hob is what we call a stovetop in the US, the surface with burners. Here, those would always be powered by the same source and would not have a switch to remove power. They would always be powered. I'm not sure how it is done wherever you live. It is telling that the clock starts to blink whenever you turn on the switch. My guess is that the oven expects the power to be on all the time. Is there a reason you turn the switch off?
dalehileman

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 12:06 pm
@engineer,
Thanks Eng, food for thought (no pun)
0 Replies