Mystery plate from the back of Grandma's art book

deepaw

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 02:35 pm
http://imgur.com/a/kUsON
and one more of the front, cropped:
http://imgur.com/gallery/aLudY46

I found this print in the back of one of my Grandmother's art books. She had a really good eye, and collected some good art over the years, as well as many amazing art books. This piece was tucked in the back of a book on modern art, though the piece itself was not listed in the book. The page is 14 1/2" x 12", with the image itself measuring 12" x 10". One edge of the sheet does appear differently frayed, which may suggest this came out of a book, but I cannot be sure. It feels like it is a copper plate(?) or some other type of print that is made by making an impression in the paper. As you can see from the photo of the back, the image on the front has been "stamped" into the page. Can anyone ID the piece, or possibly where it could have come from? Images searches, as well as art book searches have produced no hits. Closest I can guess is that it may be a Pollock, de Kooning, or possibly Klien? Or possibly none of those.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,130 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 02:50 pm
@deepaw,
It doesn't look like etching paper to me (I used to do a lot of etchings back in the day) but I suppose they can be done with thinner paper, don't know, pretty much doubt it. I would guess it is not the original but a print of it that she saw somewhere and cut or tore it out. I've no idea of the artist, but others here on a2k might.

Rereading your post, I looked again and see I'm wrong, as the plate was stamped for some reason on thin paper. I'll watch for better answers from someone smarter about this.. since I'm confused. The plate also could have been zinc.
deepaw

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 03:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, thanks for the reply! I hope someone can identify the piece. Yes indeed, it is definitely a print of some kind, not an original.

Thanks again!
farmerman

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 06:00 pm
@deepaw,
It definately is a print. Your first shot clearly shows the pressed edges of the paper. Id say its a mezzotint because the lines appear to be drypoint and the tone is so evenly distributed that Id say it was mmade with the tool I call the "Dot wheel". In mezzotint youd usually work the tone from dark to light .
Mezzotint style is almost as old as etching (maybe 1600;s or even late 1500;s)
I have no idea who is the artist . If you had a date on its completion and then look up names of known mezzotint artists.

Maybe thats a bit of a help.

I tried mezzotint and found it a bit too linear for me. So I went to aquatints by using spray lacquers on the metal plates for my color and tone.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 07:07 pm
Look like a 2 dimensional design class assignment - India ink, brush and pen.
deepaw

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 09:43 am
@farmerman,
Farmer, thank you so much! I'm reading about mezzotint now and I think you might be right. No date of completion though :-(, but I'm still going to search mezzotint artists and see what comes up. Thanks again!
deepaw

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 12:05 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Thanks for the reply, Bob!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 04:57 am
@deepaw,
look at the print itself. See whether the tone isnt achieved by orderly rows of teeny dots rather than fine scratches or , what appears to be random spray paint
0 Replies