Insurance question: are cars typically insured or drivers?

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 05:03 pm
I am visiting the US where I do not have auto insurance. When I borrow a family member's car that is insured would the insurance typically cover me as a driver?

I assume so, and could obviously read their coverage fine print to be sure, but am hoping someone can give me a heads up on what is typical coverage in the US for this kind of thing.

When I'm driving someone else's insured car but without any auto insurance (in the US) myself am I and the car covered?

roger

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 05:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Ask ehBeth. She knows everything about insurance.
Robert Gentel

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 05:33 pm
@roger,
True dat, but I thought this was gonna be one of those common knowledge things that everyone but me knows.
Robert Gentel

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 05:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Looks like I might have to know about their specific policies:

Does Automobile Insurance Follow the Car or the Driver?
http://www.claimsjournal.com/news/national/2014/06/05/249762.htm
roger

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 07:25 pm
@Robert Gentel,
No, it's a common knowledge that everyone is willing to guess at.

Except on your topic, of course.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 07:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yup.

On the upside, you started with one of the top experts in the US. One of the first things I set up at a new desk is links to Gary Wickert's firm. Great reference.

Specific policy, specific jurisdiction.

Robert Gentel

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 07:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks Beth! I guess there's no shortcut for me and I'd have to actually see their policies if I want to know if I'm covered.
ehBeth

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The US seems to have a special gift in complicating auto insurance coverage questions.

another factor ... what state an accident happens in. If it's not the same as the state of coverage, things can change again.

I worked on a file years ago involving a guy living in Ohio, driving a vehicle insured in Michigan, in an accident in Indiana with the at-fault (deceased) driver based in Illinois. It took 2 lawyers and 3 adjusters to figure out there was no first party injury coverage for the driver from Ohio because he didn't have enough days driving the Michigan-insured vehicle.
Robert Gentel

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:10 pm
@ehBeth,
The hodgepodge of laws in general from state to state are one of my pet peeves!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
My insurance covers my car if I lend it out as long as the driver doesn't live with me. I called the company to make sure I understood the rules about who was covered when my son started driving. Anyone who borrows my car they is covered (if they don't live in my house).

Anyone who lives with me has to get additional coverage to drive my car.

This is just one case. But it may be helpful.

Of course, if you don't get in an accident, you don't need insurance.

roger

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:55 pm
@maxdancona,
Around here, if you get stopped for anything, it is to your considerable advantage to have insurance. Trust me.
maxdancona

Thu 28 Apr, 2016 01:06 pm
@roger,
(That last remark on my latest post was meant as a joke... for anyone who didn't catch that.)
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sun 1 May, 2016 11:05 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Around here, if you get stopped for anything, it is to your considerable advantage to have insurance. Trust me.

Yeah, all states but New Hampshire, according to Robert's link, require at least liability insurance .
0 Replies

cameronleon

Fri 22 Sep, 2017 08:14 pm
When is about the driver, the premium is higher or lower depending of years of experience, age, number of violations and accidents and more.

When is about the vehicle, the premium is higher or lower depending of the year, make and model of the car, miles run, safety features and more.

So, at the end of the story, who or what is the insured: the driver or the car?

0 Replies

Lewa Stekelenberg

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 01:01 am
@Robert Gentel,
Just for simplifying, cars and drivers each have their own separate insurance.
Cars are provided for under Auto insurance while drivers have their own life insurance-or health sometines.
0 Replies