Christian discussion

Lilkanyon

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 11:57 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You don't do well with irony, huh? The question is not novel, it's a dead horse here which has been beaten again and again. My thought is, that as i have no reason to believe that there is a god, i have no reason to fall for any claptrap about "god's plan," or "god moves in mysterious ways," nor any other theist foolishness.

Why do you even open these topics except to berate people looking for answers that you cant obviously give. If you have nothing constructive to offer then accuse yourself. Please. Funny how every time I wander over a topic, your name pops up and its never pleasant. Maybe you are in need of some salvation, by God ...or an anger manageament therapist. Either way...jeez dude...take a chill pill.
Setanta

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 04:43 am
@Lilkanyon,
I invite you to go p*ss up a rope. What's it to you, you loud-mouthed busy body?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 04:59 am
@Lilkanyon,
Lilkanyon wrote:
Funny how every time I wander over a topic, your name pops up and its never pleasant.

If you think that's bad, check out his so called humour threads, they're guaranteed to make you despair in the pointlessness of existence.

Or you could embrace life and put him on ignore, that's what I did. It can be fun winding him up, but in the end it's not worth the effort because he's so predictable and very dull.

You've got better things to do with your life than waste it debating with the anally retentive.

Take care, and may I offer a somewhat belated welcome to A2K.
Setanta

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 05:03 am
@izzythepush,
Ah-hahahahahahahaha . . .

What a wanker.

For someone who claims to have me on ignore, you sure respond to my posts frequently.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 05:06 am
Lilkanyon, who almost, but no quite claims to be a native speaker of English, which is hilarious, wandered in here to take a cheap shot at me. If this self-appointed Joan of Arc really cared about a "christian discussion," she'd go after Oristar, who has been hammering this thread relentlessly. But in fact, just like Izzy the Putz, she has a personal grudge she wants to cherish.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 06:08 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Not everyone saw this way. Some think there is greatest philosophy in it. Here's one:

Quote:
Is not God the author of the laws of the universe? Is He not the greatest scientist? The greatest physicist? The greatest biologist? Most important, is He honored or dishonored by those who would demand that His people ignore rigorous scientific conclusions about His creation? Can faith in a loving God be built on a foundation of lies about nature?
I have been relentless in my insistence that belief in God should be consistent with reason and logic. But when prejudice masquerades as 'science', I don't hesitate to call it. Nor do I (or science itself) hesitate to call some accepted scientific beliefs into question if there is reason to do so.

If you think it is 'ungodly' to ever question scientific theory, then you are not being holy or scientific.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 06:12 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The mind of man has no limits to their imagined god.
Do you ever tire of yelling 'There is no God!" ?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 09:50 am
@Leadfoot,
No. Not when there are so many who 'believe' without any objective evidence.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 29 May, 2016 09:30 am
@cicerone imposter,
I notice you are just as dictatorial in your insistence that no one has objective evidence for their faith as you are for the nonexistence of God.

I get that you don't personally believe in God and have this need to shout it frequently, but your presumption of knowing the personal experience of every other human is ludicrous.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 May, 2016 05:02 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I get that you don't personally believe in God and have this need to shout it frequently, but your presumption of knowing the personal experience of every other human is ludicrous.

Your assumptions are ludicrous.

Man have created many gods, and the devotion to those gods are similar. They pray to their god(s), and expect to be heard and responded to.

There is no objective evidence of any god.

These are my personal opinions.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 05:36 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
There is no objective evidence of any god.

These are my personal opinions.
If you had said 'I don't have any objective evidence of any god', it would be a personal opinion.

What you actually said assumes you have access to everyone else's personal experience; which is ludicrous.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 07:09 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Not everyone saw this way. Some think there is greatest philosophy in it. Here's one:

Quote:
Is not God the author of the laws of the universe? Is He not the greatest scientist? The greatest physicist? The greatest biologist? Most important, is He honored or dishonored by those who would demand that His people ignore rigorous scientific conclusions about His creation? Can faith in a loving God be built on a foundation of lies about nature?

I have been relentless in my insistence that belief in God should be consistent with reason and logic. But when prejudice masquerades as 'science', I don't hesitate to call it. Nor do I (or science itself) hesitate to call some accepted scientific beliefs into question if there is reason to do so.

If you think it is 'ungodly' to ever question scientific theory, then you are not being holy or scientific.

It is apparent that you've missed something in your expressions above. Let me fill them up for you:

Quote:
I have been relentless in my insistence that belief in God should be consistent with religious reason and religious logic.

Because you even don't know the definition of science, yet you have the audacity to parallel yourself with science:

Quote:
Nor do I (or science itself) hesitate to call some accepted scientific beliefs into question if there is reason to do so.

Because you are good at setting up a straw-man and hitting it:

Quote:

It seems long before I've pointed it out for you that "Real science is to falsify it" - that is, real science must be falsifiable and always leaves room for doubt.

To gloss over your stunning weakness in scientific thinking is your habitual behavior. Okay now let's be specific and frank:

Do you agree what Francis Collins says that God is the greatest scientist, the greatest physicist and the greatest biologist?

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 07:31 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Now let's be specific and frank:

Do you agree what Francis Collins says that God is the greatest scientist, the greatest physicist and the greatest biologist?
Let's really be frank. What we are having is not a 'Christian discussion'. We are having a theist vs atheist discussion.

But to pretend we are both coming from a neutral position and not trying to prove anything, I can only answer that question one way:

If we assume that we are living in a universe created by a God, of course he is the greater than any man in all those fields. Only an idiot could conclude anything else given that hypothesis.

Can you imagine a man facing God and telling him that his 'science' is bogus because it is not falsifiable? Assuming there is a God, science is only in the business of reverse engineering what God has done. Man obviously makes mistakes while doing it so in order to make progress he MUST be able to go back and recognize those mistakes. A God who created the laws of nature from scratch would have no need to do that.

BTW, I think it is rude and unacceptable to alter what someone has posted and put it in a quote. It's fine to disagree with me but I said what I meant and changing it in a quote should be off limits.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 09:01 am
@rrasmussen ,
Jesus said how. What is it you disagree with in what He said.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 01:52 pm
@rrasmussen ,
Well He is all powerful and allows no evil that He can't bring a greater good from . But remember, He said DO NOT STEAL and all the pain of stealing is on us.
He Said DO NOT MURDER and we murder even little babies. that too is on us.

You sound a little like the student that upbraids the teacher because he fails though he never studies.
Glennn

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 02:29 pm
@AugustineBrother,
Quote:
He Said DO NOT MURDER and we murder even little babies. that too is on us.

I'm afraid that the murder of the Midianites and even little babies is on the god.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 03:14 pm
@AugustineBrother,
Quote:
He said DO NOT STEAL and all the pain of stealing is on us.

That's not true. After the god told Moses to murder the Midianites, it evidently had no problem with Moses stealing all their stuff, too.

In that sense, I could say that I used to be godly, but my conscience eventually held sway over me, and I had to cut it out.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 03:15 pm
@Glennn,
Some people learn right and wrong from an early age without the bible.
I was never "godly," but probably one of the fallen angels of satan.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 05:57 am
@rrasmussen ,
Christians believe that in Jesus God did not extricate Himself from the suffering that His Children brought and bring on themselves by sin. So you must adjust your perspective and NOT leave God disinterested and unaffected.
0 Replies