Here's another Trump thread...

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2016 10:05 pm
So I expect a few a2kers want to babble and ramble on about literally anything not related to Donald Trump, his political thinking and strategy, the election overall.

I think other threads digressed to nonTrump topics like WWI; abortion public policy; general lawnmower maintenance; best sources of gluten-free fiber; etc....

Anybody want to discuss the Magna Carta; The Anglo-Portuguese Alliance, ratified at the Treaty of Windsor in 1386; fish tank maintenance in this current day political thread on the 2016 election?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 4,310 • Replies: 36

TomTomBinks

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2016 10:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well you know what's been buggin' me for a few years? Olive oil, and the fact that there are no regulations on it. For years I was buying the cheap Wal-Mart brand of olive oil and cooking with it. I heard it was good for you and being health conscious I started using it. Only it tasted awful and I didn't know any better, I just thought it was supposed to taste like that. I watched the cooking shows on TV and saw people going on about how delicious food was when prepared with olive oil and I just thought my unsophisticated palate didn't know delicious flavors. And then I tasted some REAL olive oil at one of those places in the mall and I thought Holy Crap! this is amazing, I could DRINK this stuff, it's awesome! I started buying the better oil and yes, food DOES taste better, I even made some vinaigrettes and started using it for garlic
bread. My friends come over and I'm making them taste test the two oils, and they're skeptical at first like it's all in my imagination, but they taste the cheap oil and they make a face cause they just tasted PAINT and then they get the good oil and their faces light up and they start buying the good oil too!
Then I hear this program on NPR all about how there are no regulations on olive oil and that as long as what's in the bottle contains even a small percentage of olive oil they can label it "Olive Oil". And the terms "Cold Pressed" and "Extra Virgin" are completely meaningless and bear no relation to where the oil came from or how it was prepared. It can even contain rancid oil and that's OK too! This drives me nuts that's it's not illegal to sell people mis-labeled garbage to eat. There was just something in the news regarding grated Parmesan cheese that was mostly cheddar, artificial flavorings and quite a bit of SAWDUST! I'm all for free enterprise and Government Hands Off of business, but C'MON!
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 03:15 am
@TomTomBinks,
SO, youre all for "hnds off government" and you relly expect business to "do the right thing"?>
Better not drink any GOP KoolAid, its got fake fruit flavor
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 05:03 am
The Anglo-Portuguese alliance was just a way of burnishing the marriage of John of Gaunt's daughter Phillipa of Lancaster to the heir apparent of Portugal. It was that heavy, muddy red wine from Oporto, which came to be called port wine which cinched the deal for the English. Phillipa and Prince John were married there, and i'm sure every one got good and drunk.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 05:10 am
I bid three no-trump.
dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 07:18 am
@tsarstepan,
I may go and see the recycling and worm farm part of my new home tomorrow morning.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 07:36 am
@dlowan,
How does that effect the migrating salmon in the northwest Pacific states? Liberals? #amIRite?!
snood

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 07:41 am
This thread has no relevance to the ongoing argument about differing degrees of resonance in brass and nickel-based trumpets.
jespah

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 07:49 am
The soap in my parent's home is kind of old.

#FirstWorldProblems
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 08:37 am
This thread gives me the creeps . . .

0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 08:39 am
@TomTomBinks,
Quote:
the terms "Cold Pressed" and "Extra Virgin" are completely meaningless and bear no relation to where the oil came from or how it was prepared.

California has olive oil standards. They explicitly define three grades of olive oil, two grades of refined-olive oil, and three grades of olive-pomace oil. Extra virgin olive oil is defined as “olive oil that has a free acidity, expressed as free oleic acid, of not more than 0.5 grams per 100 grams, a median of defects equal to 0, and the other characteristics which correspond to the limits fixed for this grade in these standards. Extra virgin olive oil is fit for consumption without further processing.” Other states with such standards or preparing them include Connecticut, New York, Oregon, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Maryland. The European Union has recently codified simlar standards (There was a big scandal around fake Italian oil which was really imported, relabelled and exported again.)

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 09:05 am
@tsarstepan,
Actually, I hope in my small way to have a positive effect on all wildlife, including said migrating salmon in the north west pacific states.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 10:37 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

This thread has no relevance to the ongoing argument about differing degrees of resonance in brass and nickel-based trumpets.

Now, you're trumpeting my language!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 11:13 am
@Setanta,
I prefer widow whist where clubs are always trump.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 11:19 am
@jespah,
When we cleaned hamburgboy's house before he moved out, we found three LARGE drawers full of soap that mrs. hamburger had bought over many decades. Then there was soap in the linen closet and in the wine cabinet downstairs.

I'm enjoying some of those fancy soaps.
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 11:35 am
@ehBeth,
we buy these lavendar soaps made in France. They are great for showers as they have some bits of the lvendar flowers in the soap base.
Great lavendar smell trumps any other soap fragrance.

+++++++++++++++

Also, never hike the end of a trumpet valley without rope and spike gear because there the glaciers are usually less stable and can undercut your paths an you can fall crashing into the underlying streams.
These are mpstly seen in the BavarianAlps and not the rockies (Rockies are eroding faster than the Alps)
ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 11:39 am
@farmerman,
lavender was kind of my mother's thing
she loved lavender soap and lavender sachets
she grew lavender and moved it to be near her when she sat in the garden

she bought sachets every year at the fair
eventually my best friend bought it for her and took it to her each year so her car smelled of lavender for months

there were shiny eyes when we passed the lavender stall a few months after my mother died - my best friend was upset she had no reason to buy lavender any more
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 12:18 pm
I don't wish to spread stories of salacious scandal, but there is scuttlebutt that sinful state senators sometimes solicit sensual strumpets...seriously.
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 01:32 pm
My brother played French horn and strumpet, which maybe explains why he was married so many times.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 01:55 pm
I really like the brown rice they make at Pei Wei's
0 Replies