Who's the Guru Who Can Identify this Painting or Artist?

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 07:58 pm
I recently found this cool painting and would very much like to know who the artist is or if someone can tell me anything about this painting. My wife and I really like it. Image links below.

http://postimg.org/image/6m8nkyc79/

http://postimg.org/image/ouun8cudl/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,331 • Replies: 8
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 08:15 pm
@MissouriMan,
There is an artist by the name Toma L. His work is quite different from this but painters have been known to evolve.
MissouriMan

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 08:22 pm
@boomerang,
I suspect this painting is at least several decades old, but I cannot say for sure. If that helps any.
0 Replies

MissouriMan

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 11:12 am
@MissouriMan,
Anyone else have any thoughts on it?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 11:14 am
I don't but the people who tend to help with art searches here don't necessarily post every day.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 07:56 am
I believe its an art print. I think it is a decorator piece that reflects another's art but isn't by a name painter.

Its never been stretched and the surface looks odd, like maybe a first 'check' print.
MissouriMan

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 09:41 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Thanks for the reply Bobsal! Forgive me but I am no expert, are you saying it is a duplication of some known piece? I would agree that is has not been stretched, I will says that the texture of the painting is not uniform across the painting. I do have a couple of cheap reproductions hanging in the house so I compared them to this piece. At least to my untrained eye, when inspected closely I could see that this piece was much more detailed and contained a wider range of colors than the others I have. I am curious about this piece because I simply found it in the basement of a house I purchased a few months ago. Thanks!
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:23 am
@MissouriMan,
The most important question: do you like it? If you do, buy a stretcher kit and mount it and hang it.
0 Replies

trover

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 07:17 pm
@MissouriMan,
There are several web sites about the artist mentioned by Boomerang, and I believe he is the correct one, even though yours is very geometrical and his work, at least now, is more figurative. These are common changes that many artists make, i. e., Braque, Picasso,etc. As to your observation that the surface appears to be varied, that Can be a clue to Authentic/Original but not completely. Today many reproduction prints are made with obvious "brush strokes" and even varying thickness; sometimes an artist or company takes a mechanical print and actually emphasizes some of the colors or lines by painting Over it. In that case, you would see and, maybe, feel what would lead you to believe that you had an Authentic/Original work. I suggest that you get a magnifying glass and look for the squared, dot patterns of a lithograph machine; if there, you have a repro or an cheaply made mechanical litho. To be further confusing, even these are sometimes numbered and signed, usually in very large, and invaluable, editions. if no dots, then use the glass to see if the painted/raised variations are random or repeating patterns all over the work---another sign of COPY! A Real piece should have different, random layers & levels of paint stokes,etc. Good Luck!
0 Replies