Tax return lien

Hsaash

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 07:15 pm
My boyfriend owes his mom money. I don't know how much but I don't owe her anything and she is threatening to put a lien on my taxes. My boyfriend gets paid cash and didn't pay in any taxes this year. She said the lien will attach to my sons social security number so she can get the money my bf owes her out of my taxes. Is this something that she can do when my nd and I are not married and I don't owe her any money?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,522 • Replies: 15
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 07:19 pm
@Hsaash,
Sounds like pure baloney.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 07:40 pm
@Hsaash,
Unless she gets a judgement from a court she can't do anything and the federal government isn't going to get involved in a small claims type of judgement. You could always file separate if you are worried about it.
Hsaash

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 08:20 pm
@engineer,
Well she said she was gonna file with the court but how can she file with the court against me when I don't owe her money? That's what I don't get. I'm sorry if I sound stupid I just don't know **** about this kind of stuff lol
roger

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 08:24 pm
@Hsaash,
As to how she can file against anyone who doesn't owe her money, we are equally stupid, I guess.

If she actually does file, her only hope will be that you don't show up to defend yourself. Do not let her get a default judgment. How much money is involved, by the way? In New Mexico, the plaintiff (her) is not allowed a lawyer in court. The defendant (you) are allowed representation.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 09:03 pm
@Hsaash,
Wait... you two aren't married and she can get money from his ss# on your taxes? First of all, if you aren't married there is no way his ss# will appear on your taxes unless he is your dependent under the IRS code.

That would mean he had to earn less than $4000 and/or be related you in one of the following ways.
He is your brother - not likely or she would be your mom too
He is your father - again I hope not likely.
He is your grandfather - I doubt his mother would be alive then.
He's the son of your half-brother
He is your nephew -
He is your brother in law - OK.. that one might work in some way but it is still just creepy.
parados

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 09:05 pm
@Hsaash,
Quote:
My boyfriend gets paid cash and didn't pay in any taxes this year.

By the way, if your boyfriend gets paid in cash and didn't declare that income to the Federal government then he is committing a crime that you have just revealed.
Hsaash

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 09:20 pm
@parados,
She threatened to have the lien put on my sons ss#. It's me and my boyfriends son together. I was told that is illegal but like I said I have no idea about this kind of stuff that's why I'm asking.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 09:22 pm
@Hsaash,
Threats without much teeth. One person's debt cannot be transferred to another person - unless they signed on the contract.
Hsaash

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 09:27 pm
@parados,
What I should have said is that he and I are seperate he gets that 1099 form or whatever it is when you get paid cash but hasn't filed anything. I am the only one who has filed taxes and I claimed my son. so I'm trying to figure out how she can take my money
Hsaash

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 09:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
There was no contract and I definitely didn't sign anything. She lives in a different states by the way
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 09:32 pm
@Hsaash,
He can't, unless you 'give' it to him. The 1099 form should be in his name, alone.
He's legally responsible for any taxes due.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 07:22 pm
@Hsaash,
Your son is not the person that owes her money. If your son is a minor then there is no way she can do that. If your son is an adult and he doesn't owe her money then for her to put a lien against him when he doesn't owe her money sounds like fraud.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 07:31 pm
@parados,
Another important point is, who would be the third party that puts a lien against him? Sounds like a good way to get sued.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 11:32 pm
@Hsaash,
It cannot happen, so relax. Your boyfriend's mother has to get the money from him and no one else. She can threaten and talk all she wants, she only can get it from her son.

As a side note to you: do not get married to your boyfriend. He has not paid taxes on his income. The IRS will get after him sooner or later and then he'll have to pay taxes, penalties, interest and since it is a crime to not pay taxes, he'll be in legal turmoil for a long time. It is his debt and his problem, don't get involved and don't marry him!
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 12:01 am
@CalamityJane,
Excellent advise, and it's free.
0 Replies