Car paint.

Glennn

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 04:58 pm
I know this doesn't technically fall into the category of repairs, but I hit a deer and I'm having it repaired by a friend of a friend who does this kind of thing. He quoted me a price that I'm happy with. But in the break down of expenses, he said that red paint is the most expensive of paints, and that it will cost $120.00 for a pint of what he needs. Does that sound legitimate?

roger

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 05:56 pm
@Glennn,
I know that automotive paints are more expensive than most other types, but I don't happen to be aware that the price varies much by color. I suggest you contact a dedicated paint supplier.

ETA: $120 per PINT sounds outrageous, but contact a supplier for a better opinion.
Glennn

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 07:00 pm
@roger,
Thanks, roger. I will take your advice.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 07:21 pm
@Glennn,
Why don't you check with your insurance company. They do a pretty good job of estimating the cost of repairs. I've had a lot of cars repaired and instances where paint has to be matched, but the red paint being 'the most expensive' sounds like baloney.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 08:14 pm
@glitterbag,
I had it checked out. Apparently 'ultramarine' is the most expensive pigment, not red. If it's color the manufacturer used on your model, it should be easier to acquire. Good luck with your repair.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 08:20 pm

http://i65.tinypic.com/112a738.jpg
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 08:23 pm
@Glennn,
I've never heard that red is the most expensive color. I've heard that red (shortest wavelength) is the color that fades in the shortest amount of time.

Furthermore, gold metallic is the most expensive car paint. Most of the time, you can only get gold metallic as a custom order.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 04:23 pm
Thank you all.

The insurance company appraiser told me that the price for the paint is not unreasonable. Bottom line is that the insurance company declared my car totaled because the damage exceeded seventy-five percent of the Kelly Blue Book estimate, and so, after I pay them to buy back my car, I'm going to receive a check for $2838.00. The man who is going to do the repair will do it for $1200.00. Minus the $100.00 deductible, I'm coming out $1500.00 to the good! And I thought hitting the deer was a bad thing. Ha!
0 Replies