DC - AC Male Plug

zgetman

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 02:06 pm
I want to make a plug that can be both DC and AC..
This is how I plan on doing this. I have a 12v DC Power Supply that I want to open up and solder the leads for 110v AC to the prongs in order to have them both coming out of the housing. Is it possible to do this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 624 • Replies: 10
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by zgetman
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 02:09 pm
Sounds like a recipe for burned out equipment, tripped breakers, house fires, lots of bangs and smoke. Could you give more detail of what you want to achieve and why?
zgetman

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 02:19 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
I am trying to make an Auto Top Off system with 2 float switches. In order to run the float switches, I want to run 12v DC current so that I am not putting 110v AC in the water. I have a pump that is 110v AC that needs to run when the float switches are triggered. To do this I need the 12v DC power supply wired to a coil relay and the float switches and then the AC pump connected to coil relay. to do it this way I need 2 plugs, one is DC and the other is AC. I want to eliminate the need for 2 plugs. I want to simply wanting to pigtail the leads that are connected to the plug. I would have the wire that is 110v AC exiting the DC Power Supply along with the 12v DC wire.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 02:43 pm
Where does the plug come into this? How many prongs does it have?
zgetman

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 02:51 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Its a DC power supply plug. When you open the case you have 2 wires that are soldered on to the prongs and wired to the power supply board. I simply want to solder 2 more wires, one on the positive and neutral and run them outside of the power supply to operate a 110v pump. So that I am only using one receptacle instead of 2.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 05:40 pm
If you connect the + 12v to the AC hot, and the - 12v to the AC neutral, you will cook the 12v PSU, and the relay, and everything in the water (and the water!) will become a shock hazard. You need to consult an electrician.
zgetman

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 08:56 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
I am not connecting +12v to the AC hot. I am connecting AC hot to AC hot, and AC neutral to AC neutral. I must have confused you some how. Think about it this way. I have a DC plug, from a phone charger. When you open the case you have 2 leads that are soldered to the prongs (that go into the wall receptacle), and they connect to the converter. I am simply wanting to solder to the prongs, before the converter, and run the AC cable under the converter board and out the back of the DC housing, along with the DC cable. I am in no way connecting the DC and AC power together.
Wilso

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 10:56 pm
@zgetman,
It seems like you're going to a lot of trouble just to have an AC supply available. My biggest concern, what will you have on the end the wires that you're soldering onto the AC terminals?
zgetman

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 01:53 am
@Wilso,
A submersible pump.
Here is the schematic http://www.3reef.com/attachments/schematic-jpg.69966/ of what I am doing. I am just soldering to the terminals before the transformer in the box.
Wilso
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 04:50 am
@zgetman,
. So the DC supplies the control circuit for the AC pump. It appears reasonable on cursory inspection, so long as the power supply device lends itself to the alteration you intend to make. I can't comment on that. I'd be putting protection on the pump circuit. Fuses or circuit breaker. Don't ask me about ratings. I don't do enough work with single phase motors to give reliable advice
zgetman

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 05:46 am
@Wilso,
Thanks for the info. I will take your advice and put a fuse on the pump for protection. I am glad that what I am working on will work.
0 Replies