Exterior Outlet with USB ports

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 10:14 am
Can anyone tell me if there is an available product on the market for an exterior outlet with USB port that is grounded and weatherproof/waterproof? If not, is there a way to properly have one installed? Thank you!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,163 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 10:58 am
@ReganMarie,
Where is it that you'd want an outlet installed? Your question is confusing.

Are you aware that USB ports handle data signals as well as lower voltage DC voltage that's be compatible with a computer? Such an 'outlet' as you call it, would need to be wired up to data lines that would connect to the Internet, most likely your cable or ISP (Internet service provider).

Whereas a power outlet handles 117 VAC (or even 220 VAC), incompatible to computer?

If you want a data tech to install a USB port, let's say, on your outdoor deck, they'd install it and provide weatherproof covers. However, it would be a waste of money...considering the alternative. Are you aware that Bluetooth device connection (and rechargeable battery power) allow you to use your computer at remote or outdoor locations?
engineer

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 12:06 pm
@ReganMarie,
You are probably better off installing a cover box with a standard 120V/USB outlet.
Ragman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 12:07 pm
@engineer,
duuuh...of course (wibbles away into the sunset)
0 Replies

ReganMarie

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 02:33 pm
@Ragman,
Correct. I'd like an outlet with USB port capability outside on our patio which has conersational seating and is partially covered. We spend a lot of time outside and sometimes it would be nice to be able to charge devices simultaneously. I do know there are outlets with usb ports for interior application. Wondered if there was one that would pass code to be outside. Hope this helps.
0 Replies

ReganMarie

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 02:34 pm
@engineer,
This answers my question. Didn't know if the outside cover would render the outlet compatible when it comes to code or home inspection.
0 Replies