Why haven't Flash Drives replaced CDs?

aperson

Sun 12 Apr, 2009 03:29 am
(If you still actually physically buy it at a store) software still comes in the same old CD-ROM. Why is this, I ask? USB Flash Drives are smaller and have a more compact shape, are far less suseptible to damage, are more reliable, work faster, are easier to use and store more data than CDs. Nowadays, more devices support USB than CDs. Have software companies not caught on yet, or is there some other reason?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,735 • Replies: 14
Topic Closed
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Sun 12 Apr, 2009 03:51 am

I know not; I wallow in ignorance, on this point.

David
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Sun 12 Apr, 2009 05:33 am
@aperson,
probably the same companies produce each and they've got a backlog of inventory to get rid of first.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Sun 12 Apr, 2009 05:36 am
dunno, now computers often come with no cds - the installation and recovery files are in the partition on the hard drive.

and businesses do use flash drives a lot -- if someone is handing me large files with presentations or whatever - it's a flashdrive rather than a cd.
djjd62

Sun 12 Apr, 2009 05:41 am
it's funny, my first computer had a 2 gb hard drive and cost about $1200

12 years later i can buy a 2 gb flash drive for about $10
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sun 12 Apr, 2009 05:51 am
@aperson,
It's probably a cost issue. DVD storage is still very cheap, probably pennies peg gigabyte at production time.

dagmaraka

Sun 12 Apr, 2009 05:53 am
@rosborne979,
flash drives have gone down tremendously in price and are much easier to reuse. i do see people and businesses switching to them. mine office did almost entirely.
0 Replies

BillRM

Sun 12 Apr, 2009 06:20 am
@aperson,
COST...pennies ver dollars
rosborne979

Sun 12 Apr, 2009 06:32 am
@dagmaraka,
Hi Dag,

Aperson was asking about software distribution specifically:
aperson wrote:

(If you still actually physically buy it at a store) software still comes in the same old CD-ROM. Why is this, I ask?

Flash drives are cost effective for different applications, and the cost is coming down. But for simple distribution of data I'm sure it's cost prohibitive when compared to CD/DVD's.
Thomas

Sun 12 Apr, 2009 06:51 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
COST...pennies ver dollars

Yes -- I think you've nailed it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Sun 12 Apr, 2009 07:16 am
@rosborne979,
I know...and I answered that often there are no cds anymore...just a partition drive that has it already loaded in. Then I expanded to other areas.... I simply believe CDs won't be around for much more than maybe a few more years.
BillRM

Sun 12 Apr, 2009 10:26 am
@dagmaraka,
DVDs and CDS the same thing as far as most new drives are concern will be around for some time.

A Plastic disk that a laser had burn marks on will always be cheaper then ram memory by a large a very large margin.

Now as far as moving programs around networks up to the internet will always be cheaper then even a bit of plastic and is the wave of the future.

I in fact pick up two things first for my CD/DVD free notebook one was a USB DVD/CD burner and the second was a crossover cable to network my two computers together.

My USB memory cards are not a major way of transfer information between my computers.
0 Replies

aperson

Sun 12 Apr, 2009 08:45 pm
Yes, I think maybe in the way of read-only storage devices, CDs or DVDs are probably cheaper than Flash Drives. But is user information stored on CDs, or is it stored on the computer? I don't know.
hawkeye10

Sun 12 Apr, 2009 08:53 pm
@aperson,
does the corp selling you a program care about the usability of the method after the program has been transferred to the destination computer? I don't think so....with the cost of making a disk being about a buck and with flash still being a couple of multiples more there is no incentive to go the more expensive route.

also, why take the time and cost to retool the industry to flash drives when digital transfer is increasingly being done via the internet? Hell, even netflix is getting ready for the day when all content is transferred online. You might have heard what has happened to the music industry in the age of i-tunes and file sharing. The industry model of hard copy sales is finished, for music, for movies, and I expect for computer programing as well.
aperson

Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yes I agree.
0 Replies