Does "they" refer to "distinguished authorities"?

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 07:16 pm

Context:

As one result of this condition, we receive these offenders in the state hospitals, not on the diagnoses made by the alienists at the trials, but on replies made by them to these test questions, about which they are little more capable of judging, distinguished authorities though they may be, than anyone else.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 579 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
oristarA

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 06:45 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Context:

As one result of this condition, we receive these offenders in the state hospitals, not on the diagnoses made by the alienists at the trials, but on replies made by them to these test questions, about which they are little more capable of judging, distinguished authorities though they may be, than anyone else.

them, they, they... look like a mess to me; and no one wants to clarify it?
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 07:50 am
@oristarA,

You are right, that sentence is a bit of a stinker.

Quote:
...not on the diagnoses made by the alienists at the trials, but on replies made by them to these test questions, about which they are little more capable of judging, distinguished authorities though they may be, than anyone else.

not on the diagnoses made by the alienists..., but on replies made by them (the alienists)...

... about which they (the alienists) are little more capable of judging, distinguished authorities though they (the alienists) may be, than anyone else.

(by the way, this is the first time I have seen the word alienist, I believe)
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 08:05 am
alienist is a really, really old term for psychiatrist. I don't think it's been in common usage for at least fifty years.
0 Replies