if their bride is between 15 and 17 years their junior?

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 08:53 am
1) Does "if their bride is between 15 and 17 years their junior" refer to "if their bride is 15-17 years younger than them (grooms)"?

2) Does "civilly partnered couples" mean "couples who have not married but have a civilized partnership"?

Context:

But the 2011 census found that married and civilly partnered couples make up just 47 per cent of households, down from 51 per cent in 2001.
Any single man wanting to act on the latest findings about the correlation between being alone and dying in middle age might want to consider their choice of partner carefully, however. It has been suggested in one study that a man’s chances of dying early are cut by a fifth if their bride is between 15 and 17 years their junior.

More:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/9796903/Stay-single-die-younger-say-scientists.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 392 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 10:25 am
@oristarA,

1. Yes.
2. Yes. A civil partnership.
oristarA

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 11:24 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

1. Yes.
2. Yes. A civil partnership.

Cool.
Is the author suggesting that marrying young girls is beneficial to their longevity? ("It has been suggested in one study that a man’s chances of dying early are cut by a fifth if their bride is between 15 and 17 years their junior.")
McTag

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 12:16 pm
@oristarA,

Quote:
Is the author suggesting that marrying young girls is beneficial to their longevity?

Yes of course.

Note, in your sentence, the use of "their" is not specific. Write it a different way so as to indicate that it is the husbands' longevity you are discussing, not the wives'.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 12:50 pm
Note: 'civil partnership' is a legal term with a specific meaning in some countries - a legally recognized union of a same-sex couple, with rights similar to those of marriage.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 12:53 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
it is NOT the same as a "civilized partnership", whatever oristar means by that. I would think "civilized" in that context means something like they are polit to each other, which civil partnerships ideally are, but it's not required.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 11:48 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
it is NOT the same as a "civilized partnership", whatever oristar means by that.

That was my point.
0 Replies