Parents of GF wont let her get cancer treatment because they "Don't believe in western medicine"?

FBM

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 07:45 am
@mmABCD,
Ah. Yeah, at 17 there's still a lot of growth to do. If the science says not to worry about cancer at that age, I'd relax about that. But if it's causing her discomfort, I'd still see if I couldn't work out Planned Parenthood or some sort of informal networking to get it looked at. Tbh, I think her tinfoil-hat parents are a bigger concern... http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/emot-tinfoil.gif
roger

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 02:52 pm
@FBM,
Someday, I would like to get a good, solid medical definition of the word "benign". I do know that when they say the patient is in some discomfort, they often mean he's groveling on the floor, in pain. I do know that if the damn thing is growing, it isn't good.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 02:58 pm
@FBM,
Once the girl gets to 18 the parents have no say, they will not be a problem going forwards. Their money is not required either at that point.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 03:18 pm
Back in my early cut-up days I hung around with a boyfriend/md and his friends, some male and female md's. One became a radiologist, which was interesting because his girlfriend, then in mid twenties, a speech therapist (which I mention to say she was smart too), was worried since women in her family had a fair amount of breast cancer. Later I learned she did too, not all so long later, not sure how old she was, but she was right to worry. Hers was caught, but she was in the right place and time for it being caught.

I've had invasive breast cancer and had it caught, primarily because I got mammos and since mine was a fasty, I was quite glad.

From the description of this, it reminds me of inflammatory breast cancer articles. Are there separate stats on that?

BUT, I'm not in that field at all and am probably off base.
There is probably some similar behaving breast situation that I've not heard of.
Get your GF to Planned Parenthood as soon as you can.

On statistics? If you have it, you don't give a **** about statistics. If you don't, your benefit is to get to be part of a total.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 03:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

mmABCD wrote:

In the age range that is apparently '0%' however she is showing several sure fire signs of it and to be honest, even if the chances are low I just want her to get checked by a professional to be sure she is okay. I hope that is understood.
That is not what you said....you said that her parents were keeping her from cancer treatment. You dont know that she has cancer, and if she is under 20 she can be assumed to not have cancer.

If she were a random under-20 year old, then yes the probability is close to zero. If you start with the facts of a lump, sensitive to the touch and other signs of illness, the probabilities would shift significantly. You can't ignore all the of the other facts and use the general probability. As others noted, there are options for free or very reduced cost screening. Please take advantage of them.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 07:21 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Someday, I would like to get a good, solid medical definition of the word "benign". I do know that when they say the patient is in some discomfort, they often mean he's groveling on the floor, in pain. I do know that if the damn thing is growing, it isn't good.

Quote:
A benign tumor is a mass of cells (tumor) that lacks the ability to invade neighboring tissue or metastasize. These characteristics are required for a tumor to be defined as cancerous and therefore benign tumors are non-cancerous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_tumor
ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 07:29 pm
@mmABCD,
mmABCD wrote:
and from what I have seen is has grown to about the size of a nickle and is taking on an odd lumpy shape. And to make things worse, the breast very faintly appears to be bruised and she is striking up a fever..

she has to be seen by a medical professional one way or another

there are a number of diagnoses with symptoms like this and none of them are fun

talk to a counsellor at school, contact Planned Parenthood
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 08:05 pm
@FBM,
But still, they grow.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 08:17 pm
I would like inflammatory breast cancer ruled out.

My understanding of that is not great.

If it is something else, I want to hear about it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 08:56 pm
It should not need to be said, But I will anyway. The sooner she sees a doctor the less damage it has a chance to do.
0 Replies