New Home wiring

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 10:51 am
We are living in Houston TX and just started building a home. Texas code is based on NFPA 70. I am not familiar with the code itself. When I was looking at the wiring I realize that some of the wires were not run straight. If the electrician was going to connect a switch that is 5' high from an outlet that is down below he ran the wire at an angle from the low location to the high location crossing several studs.

I have looked at other homes and saw that those were wired so the cable ran parallel to the ground and up the stud right next tot he power switch. This seems more reasonable to me since it will reduce the chance of someone poking a hole to the cable accidentally. Also if we had a water leak in the wall down ward slope of these wires will sure to pool the water on the outlet.

Can anyone advice if this is proper wiring does the code allow this kind of work.

Thanks for your help

T
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 584 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 11:20 am
@turuncuoglu,
turuncuoglu wrote:

We are living in Houston TX and just started building a home. Texas code is based on NFPA 70. I am not familiar with the code itself. When I was looking at the wiring I realize that some of the wires were not run straight. If the electrician was going to connect a switch that is 5' high from an outlet that is down below he ran the wire at an angle from the low location to the high location crossing several studs.

I have looked at other homes and saw that those were wired so the cable ran parallel to the ground and up the stud right next tot he power switch. This seems more reasonable to me since it will reduce the chance of someone poking a hole to the cable accidentally. Also if we had a water leak in the wall down ward slope of these wires will sure to pool the water on the outlet.

Can anyone advice if this is proper wiring does the code allow this kind of work.

Thanks for your help

T

Talk to your building inspector. That's what he's there for.

“What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO.” John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
0 Replies