Social effects of the theory of evolution

Ionus

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 04:45 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Do you think Ionus is a sock puppet?
Your best attempt to contribute to any debate yet . I suppose you either stole that joke or lay awake for many nights trying to think of it...keep trying, I'm sure one day you will make a contribution .
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 07:23 am
@farmerman,
Like most people on the right, Ionus is fond of the strawman and the ad hominem. Do you remember, farmerman, when this forum and the source forum abuzz, were loaded with conservatives accusing liberals of using the strawman?
plainoldme

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 07:25 am
@farmerman,
I just read a piece on Salon based on survey that showed that college educated republicans are more likely to believe global warming is a hoax. An anthology called Sustainability that I am using with one of my classes this term contains a study demonstrating that whenever a device is labeled energy-saving, conservatives will not buy it.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 07:32 am
@plainoldme,
However, I went to college with a girl whose mother was a member of the John Birch Society. The girl scored in the 2nd percentile of the GRE which I knew because I read her score. Furthermore, more than 50% of all Americans read on the 8th grade level. 31% of all college graduates do as well.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 07:45 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Like most people on the right, Ionus is fond of the strawman and the ad hominem
I'm on the right ? I didnt know that . I bet you cant tell me why I am on the right .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 08:22 am
@plainoldme,
Im concerned that Conservipedia is considered to be FACTUAL and its mostly Bullshit. People who occupy a totally different plane of reality (like gunga) don't seem to be bothered with the fact that much of what they believe is provably lies and distortions.

plainoldme

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 07:34 pm
@farmerman,
They dislike facts anyway. I think you captured it best when you said they are on a different plane of reality.

On FB, I don't have to associate with righties at all. When a friend has a right-wing associate, who is always nasty and always misinformed, I simply turn off the thread. It is bad enough that there is something bubbling up from the right every day.

Speaking of FB, a friend there remarked that she feels that 2016 might be the last presidential election. I think if cruz survives the primaries and is elected, it will be the last.

I am totally saddened that last year's study by a Princeton professor and a Northwestern professor that America is no longer a democracy but an oligarchy did not start a revolution.

But as Paul Erlichman said on Science Friday yesterday that there are more scientists than ever willing to speak up but that networks refuse to give them air time.
raprap

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 08:04 pm
@farmerman,
I seem to recall reading an item about an individuals firmly held beliefs strongly resist evidence of contradiction.

It reminded me of an attempt to explain the Monte Hall Problem to slightly inebriated friends at a party using Baesian logic (AKA conditional probability). It wasn't real successful, but then alcohol was involved.

Rap
farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 08:11 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Paul Erlichman said on Science Friday yesterday that there are more scientists than ever willing to speak up but that networks refuse to give them air time
Dayum I Ehrlich still alive? hen I was in junior high in the mid 60's he came and talked about ecology to our "science pathways" programs. He was old then. He must be an alien.

Why would 2016 be the last election? If its n oligarchy ( With Which I am in agreement), the oligarchs would want to retain the appearance of representative democracy.
farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 08:14 pm
@raprap,
I never really "Got" the concept of any statistic. I always would settle with only learning a trick or two, like trend surface or kriging or variogramming.
I often got frustrated with stats cause it seemed to be a trick to merely enhance a viewpoint.

Maybe I was at that prty. Did anybody yell out "STONE THE HERETIC"!!
raprap

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 08:25 pm
@farmerman,
No but 'Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics' is a real phenomenon. Fortunately there's usually a statistical peer review.

The retort would have been "Hang them by their thumbs."

Rap
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 05:57 am
@farmerman,
He is 82 and seemed vigorous. The right hates him and Thomas Malthus but then the right has a problem with analysis.
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 06:09 am
@plainoldme,
I was always positively affected by his work. My first book about evolution was his > I read it when I was about 13 and had to learn the math .

He was the one that identified the peppered moth as an example of hos adaptation and "fitness" worked. Too bad the Creationists never "Got it"
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 10:15 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Like most people on the right, Ionus is fond of the strawman and the ad hominem.

I love irony.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 09:08 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Re: wmwcjr (Post 5918854)
Bless your heart, you cute li'l rodent.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5uav5JDoF1qdey1zo1_500.png
We baby seals are even cuter! Razz Mr. Green
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 09:15 am
@wmwcjr,
yeh but they got seal breth!!! YYYEEEERRRKK
neologist

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 09:32 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
The scope of your erudition is both prodigious and putrifactive

Edit:
And, I should add:
Breathtaking. Very Happy
wmwcjr

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 09:47 am
@farmerman,
Quote:

http://www.get-covers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Baby-Seal.jpg
Human breath is worse. Razz

Besides, you don't want to mess with us. Mad . . .

http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/20/1600x1041_5387_Baby_seals_2d_character_military_child_babies_special_forces_tactical_picture_image_digital_art.jpg
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 09:53 am
Perhaps farmerman has been clubbing with baby seals.

https://gettheetoaneditor.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/stop-clubbing-baby-seals.jpg

That's enough corn for today. Mr. Green
wmwcjr

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 09:54 am
@neologist,
I love your puns.
0 Replies