If there was a civil war in your country...

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 07:11 pm
Who would be the warring factions and what side would you be on?

As I stated in an earlier thread, the warring factions here in the U.S. would definitely be The Obese vs. Their Doctors.

I'm sure the obese would win hands down because they completely outnumber the docs. And once they were done, they would institute the golden arches as their new flag.

Vive la revolucion!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,198 • Replies: 37
No top replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 08:32 pm
haha! Wiseguy!
And what would the slim people be doing? Smile
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 08:50 pm
Move to Tennessee for a month and you'll soon find that the rednecks are ready to finish the civil war with the North.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 10:20 pm
Spectating, some would participate as the doctors of course.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 11:03 pm
here in canada, it would be between the french and the english, back in 1995 the province of quebec held a vote to determine if they should seperate from the rest of the country, the question was yes to go and no to stay, the no side won by 2%, basically 51% - 49%
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 11:13 pm
djjd62 wrote:
here in canada, it would be between the french and the english, back in 1995 the province of quebec held a vote to determine if they should seperate from the rest of the country, the question was yes to go and no to stay, the no side won by 2%, basically 51% - 49%

Shocked Had they voted yes; would Quebec be allowed to separate, legally? That would be way too weird! Surely this vote wasn't serious? Confused
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 07:42 pm
the vote was serious, had they won i figure we'd still be trying to sort the damn thing out to this day

they felt they had the legal right to seperate, but the logistics of it were pretty sketchy

things have been calm for the last few years but the rumbles are starting up again
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 07:51 pm
Too strange. Imagine all the treaties they'd suddenly not be part of. Alaska comes up with that idea occasionally, but we simply offer to kick their Asses. I'm sure that would work for you too. After all, you are talking about the French. :wink:
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 08:07 pm
We'd have a war of Slovaks against the Gypsies (Roma). And possibly Hungarians too. Gypsies in that case would either align with one or the other or observe. But that ain't no joke, we had clashes between the Gypsy / majority population few months back and if there is no comprehensive strategy to deal with the issue of their rampant discrimination and marginalisation, we may well face much more severe conflicts.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 08:29 pm
Bill:
&nbsp&nbsp&nbspThere have been several proposals for the emancipation of New York City from both the State of New York and The United States of America. I think Norman Mailer was the driving force behind the last one. Another in my memory would have freed Martha's Vineyard from the bonds of Massachusetts and I have never figured out why Texas joined the Union in the first place. Maybe they ought to be given the opportunity to break their chains.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbspThe citizens of the upper Northeast corner of Oklahoma, Green Country, grumble that they should become a portion of Kansas rather than remain the pawns of those cowboys down in Oklahoma City, the only thing that stops them from seceding is the thought of having to root for the Kansas Jayhawks against the Oklahoma Sooners.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbspMuch of what we feel about ourselves is the place we call home. We have to feel a part of the place in some sense larger than just being there, else there is a feeling of disconnect, that something is out of whack. Years ago, a western wheat farmer was informed that, due
to an surveying error, the Colorado state line had been shown to be one mile east of his place, but it had now been moved to one mile west and that, from now on, his farm was in Kansas.

"Thank God," he exclaimed, "I don't think I coulda stood another one of those damned Colorado winters."

Joe
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 08:39 pm
New England would make a tidy little country. Just saw the rest of the country off at the Hudson and let it float away. :wink:
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 08:47 pm
Interesting. I was thinking a land swap between Florida and Wisconsin would be very beneficial to both states. Logically speaking; I can't imagine why they don't trade Palm Beach for Green Bay! Idea Yes, that would be perfect. :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 08:51 pm
I believe Texas wanted in the Union because the influential people were from bonafide states. Aside from that, I don't see that there was that much advantage to be gained - at the time. possibly they shared the notion of Manifest Destiny.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 03:59 am
&nbsp&nbsp&nbspI believe you are right about Texas, Edgar, though I can't for the life of me see what the rest of us ever got out their joining up. Laughing So maybe there was a little oil there, and a cow or two, but the rest of it is just hardscrabble and caliche dust. (Wait a minute, am I thinking of Australia? No, no oil.)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbspIndividual wants to know about the present circumstances, not historical, at least that's how I read the question, so here goes:
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspScenario One
-&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp- Gun Nuts from the Right and Wackos from the Left attack us in the middle from both sides. &nbsp&nbsp&nbspThe really nice thing about living in a free country, which is what the US reportedly is for now, is there's always a plentiful supply of people who think they are being oppressed when they haven't got a clue what real oppression look or feels like. They get bent out of shape whenever there is anything that smacks of government. "What I HAVE to put a license plate on my car??!!!???!!!?" The interesting thing to me is when I've talked with either gunnuts or wackos, they both sound the same, usually it comes to down to this: both bunchs want to be left alone to do whatever they want. If that sounds like adolescent behavior it's because it is.
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp
&nbsp&nbsp&nbspScenario two:
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspRed Sox fans finally have enough. They start carbombing the neighborhoods of the Yankee players, then they start carbombing the neighborhoods of the Red Sox players. Still, no real satisfaction.

Joe
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 04:51 am
I can see there being a war here in Britain between the Europhiles and the Europhobes.

Europhobe: "Union Jack, bowler hats, keep the £, Rule Britannia! We hate the French, Germans, Italians and Spanish"

Eurosceptics: "Grow up. WW2 was a long time ago."

One of the main problems with this country is our deluded sense of national importance. Once everyone realised that we no longer rule half the world, but are a mere 60million people living on a small damp island on the edge of Europe, then things will be okay.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:19 am
Er, there was a civil war in my country.

Oliver Cromwell won. (1:0 after extra time)

Oh you mean NOW

GD gets pretty close I think.

Immigration, islamophobia, losing to Croatia, anything could spark it off. The place is a powderkeg, waiting to explode with typical British understatement. We'd probably have an election or referrendum to decide what to have the war about. And there would be tea breaks, and a change of ends (if not means) at half time.

Best I can do sorry.

What side?

Well thats even more difficult

If England beat Scotland, I would hope for a draw with Ireland, and could even lose to Wales.

But if Ireland beat Wales and Scotland, that would be difficult.

The smart money would probably go on the Tartan Army to win away but get hammered at home.

Whichever way it went, my aim would to be on the winning side.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:43 am
Here's the thing.

I think this will happen in the US, but not anytime soon.

What will happen is that the power of corporations will get to the point that the people will have no real political voice and will reach a critical mass that will erupt in a revolution.

Should I be around, I will stand with the masses.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:47 am
Having lived in Florida for over 10 years, I am convinced that the state has already seceded from the union. Problem is, nobody's told Washington yet! Laughing
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:31 am
Back in the 1970's we had some sort of War of the Pig (after a great novel by Argentina's Adolfo Bioy Casares) between the young and the old. Some real deaths, too.

Now it's different, and it's a lot harder to think about one.

North vs. South would seem the most likely. The richer, conservative, hard working, pro-American north against the poorer, populist prone, anti-American south. It would also have a tinge of racial struggle, since most Mexican Indians (or "Mesoamericans", in the words of a hypothetical politically correct sociologist) live in the south.

Now, if we are talking about real hatred, then it would more probably be a Soccer War.
We, the Pumistas, would happily slash all the Americanistas throats.
Actually, we already have 6 deaths to avenge, dating from 1985.
At he end of war, we would hang (1985 finals referee) Joaquín Urrea with the tripes of (player-symbol) Cuauhtémoc Blanco, burn the Azteca Stadium to ashes and make a big bacchanal in the Olympic Stadium. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:38 am
I would love nothing more than to see NYC seceds from NYS... That would alleviate sooooooo many problems we upstaters have. Hell, they can take all the way up to poughkeepsie if they want...
0 Replies