Divorce/Post-nuptial agreement

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 01:50 pm
I moved from England in 2012, leaving a my family, friends and a fantastic career to be with my spouse in the US. We have been married for 2 and a half years. We don't own any property or have children and my husband kept his bank accounts separate to mine. I have found out that he was unfaithful during his trip to Thailand within our first year of marriage and now he's going again in March of this year. He wants me to sign a post-nuptial agreement but I want a divorce. I also want to know my rights. Being married for 2 years, would I be entitled to anything? If not, should I sign the post-nuptial agreement? He also said that if we were to divorce he wants to file in Ohio since he's classed as a resident there as opposed to filing in Florida. We've both lived in Florida for almost 3 years, so which state should we file?

jcboy

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 01:54 pm
@trinakatrina87,
trinakatrina87 wrote:

I moved from England in 2012, leaving a my family, friends and a fantastic career to be with my spouse in the US. We have been married for 2 and a half years. We don't own any property or have children and my husband kept his bank accounts separate to mine. I have found out that he was unfaithful during his trip to Thailand within our first year of marriage and now he's going again in March of this year. He wants me to sign a post-nuptial agreement but I want a divorce. I also want to know my rights. Being married for 2 years, would I be entitled to anything? If not, should I sign the post-nuptial agreement? He also said that if we were to divorce he wants to file in Ohio since he's classed as a resident there as opposed to filing in Florida. We've both lived in Florida for almost 3 years, so which state should we file?

If you’re planning on filing for divorce your divorce attorney will answer all those questions.

Have you consulted with an attorney?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 02:11 pm
I'm not an attorney, but I'm just going to through in my 2 cents.

I thought a post-nuptial agreement would be something the 2 of you would come up with and sign BEFORE anyone was bringing up divorce.

Why the hell would you sign something after you've brought up divorce?

I do have a question. How stupid does he think you are?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 02:35 pm
@trinakatrina87,
trinakatrina87 wrote:

....I also want to know my rights. ...

This, and your other questions, are for your attorney.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 03:08 pm
First thing Monday morning phone a divorce lawyer. He is trying to manipulate you, post nups and filing in Ohio are him manipulating you. Don't kid yourself it's for your benefit.

Talk to someone who is on your side, get a lawyer.

(I'm not a lawyer btw.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 03:14 pm
@trinakatrina87,
Yes, just like everyone else said, consult a divorce attorney and don't sign
anything or file in a state you haven't lived in. My guess is that Ohio laws
are not as favorable to you - in Ohio you have to wait 12 month before your divorce can be filed vs. zero time in Florida. You also have to wait 3 month in Ohio for your final divorce decree vs. zero time in Florida.
0 Replies