Is strong Skepticism self refuting?

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 09:52 am
I have been prone to think that strong Skepticism in the form of 'there is no way for humans to know anything' seems self refuting or at least internally incoherent.

If there is no way for humans to know anything - does that not appear to be something that we know - i.e. that we know nothing.

Socratic Irony aside - is the strong skeptics view even tenable?

What am I missing?

TF
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,832 • Replies: 18
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 10:40 am
Can we know ANYTHING? A meaningless question until we can adequately define what is "knowing" and what are "we." It's my impression that what we seek is satisfactory answers to questions. Sometimes the questions are metaphysical in nature (requiring "proofs" of a formal nature) and other times they are pragmatic (requiring desired results). Scientific knowledge combine the two. At bottom, however, knowledge (or the state/action of knowing) is a function of the knower.
Fresco, where are you?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 02:36 pm
Is strong Skepticism self refuting? I doubt it!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 05:40 pm
Can you give any reason why you doubt it?
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 06:27 pm
Let me guide this question a little further then - strong Cartesian notion of 'knowing' - Certainty beyond a doubt - clear and distinct knowledge.

Us - the entity that thinks - I think any other definition would be superflous than what is needed.

- Also I think nickfun was joking.

TF
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 08:22 pm
Um...I was just being skeptical.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 08:27 pm
Same thing right? Wink

TF
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 08:34 pm
In answer to the initial question, not the way you've defined it. I think the argument comes down to a semantic level. Kind of like "If God is sinless and allpowerful, does he have the power to sin? The answer all depends on how you define your terms. I think it is the same with your question.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 10:12 pm
To have "certainty beyond a doubt" may be to be delusional. Is there an entity that thinks or is there just thinking and having the thought that thinking must have an agent?
I agree that all this is superfluous, given your goal. But we should never think that we have rearched rock bottom. That was the problem with Decartes. We just go as far as our purposes require. Pragmatism.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 06:33 am
I can see your point JL - as Peirce extrapolated upon - I can also see his argument that we can never be sure we are a thinking being - and that we can only claim we are a thinking 'thing' - but I am not sure how we cannot be absolutley sure that we are thinking - this seems - despite definitions certain knowledge.

How could what I define or how I define it change the fact that if I am wrong - and am still a thing thinking and nothing cannot be wrong?

I guess I just don't understand the refutation here. I can stay with Pierce and other pragmatists in how we often use our knowledge - bt must concede one thing to foundationalists - that we can be certain about a few things.

I also agree with the pragmatists that working definitions are what people use on a daily basis and that our definitions don't matter if they are 100% accurate - only that they work. But when sharpening our definitions - I do not understand how we can be wrong about words like 'certainty' when we are careful. Certain - as in no doubt (not the band).

Maybe you understand this bettwe JL and can help me out here?

TF
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:23 am
You are all wrong. I have no empirical data to support my assertions but this is the mark of a true skeptic.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:26 am
personally i never have much 'faith' in anything i say!

[and to paraphrase a famous observation: "i think, therefore i think"! - Decartes, i think?]
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:31 pm
TF, I can't be of much use here. First, I have no confidence in achieving certainty. To me it is a blue rose. I can FEEL certain, but formal proofs can win arguments but be ultimately wrong, or disproven/replaced some day. Moreover I tend toward anti-foundationalist philosphers, like Nietzsche, James and Rorty.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 06:22 pm
I apreciate your honesty - and I did not want this to turn into a foundationalist tirade either - I don't hold a LOT of water - I am just wondering about Skeptcism - It seems ALL epistemological models can attack it legitimatly (whether it be foundationalism, coherentism or whatever)

TF
0 Replies

alikimr

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:55 am
To be sceptical about any thesis is the basic requirement of dialectic thinking.......any thesis should be considered questionable until it is refined by negating its sceptical dimensions....and reforming iys new thesis........ a synthesis ......and itself is viewed sceptically again., in turn.
All thinking begins with scepticism. It certainly not self-refuting ....it doesn't mean that "we know nothing" as a result, as your opening
question inferred,,,,,,which you no doubt added for argumeny's sake.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:48 pm
I think there is a definition gap here.

I am defining 'strong' skepticism as in the philosophical movement of 'we know nothing'.

I think you are talking about Skepticism as a questioning device.

TF
0 Replies

alikimr

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 04:16 pm
ttf:
Are you distinguishing between 'strong' scepticism
and ordinary scepticism ? ....and asserting that the former means "we know nothing' , while the latter,
at least when you use it, does not mean quite that?
I can only understand your position if you are referring to the philosophy of Skepticism.
which ,as you know, is a doctrine that asserts that
all knowledge is uncertain.
Yes, you are correct when you say that I am talking about scepticism in the dialectical,questioning sense. Skepticism, in itself
is bordering on a dogmatic ....without the use of the diakectic process of thought, don't you think?
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 06:38 pm
I am equating strong scepticism with the philosophy scepticism which is that "all knowledge is uncertain".

It just seems to me that if that is your claim that you are certain about that.

I do think that skepticism is dogmatic but I do not understand how skepticism can be helped if it is used within the frame work of the dialectic.

Unless you are saying that the dialectic uses a weakers sort of scepticism which is to question everything. So in this weaker sense scepticism becomes to be wary of any stated position.

But I think the weaker sense is looking for a certain proof that the stronger sense is ruling out - out of hand.

Golly I hope that made sense.

TF
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 10:38 pm
TF, I guess I am a skeptic, ultimately. I think we can find answers that satisfy our questions. This would apply in the arenas of common sense everyday life, philosophical investigation and the scientific laboratory. We know nothing to be ABSOLUTELY true. Even the notions of knowledge and truth are problematical. But as a human being I'm content with purely human "knowledge". This includes metaphysical conclusions that make us feel we have a grasp on the rock bottom meanings of life, at least for the moment, and pragmatic knowledge which works. Proofs, whether logical or practical, do not indicate progress to me, i.e., that we have transcended the limits of our species' cognitive capacity, only that we have reached that limit. By not being able to refute the proof, we have demonstrated our limit, again, for the moment. You might persuade me with a "proof" that you are right and that I am wrong, but ultimately we are both "wrong." But that rests on the assumption of a god's truth, an absolute truth. I don't believe that exists except in our imagination. We don't even need absolute truth, just ideas the gratify us and that work.
0 Replies