Overrun

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 03:11 pm
This project has overran the expectation by 10 years.
Is this a proper usage....?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 388 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:01 pm
@Arafat ,
No, because you have conjugated the verb improperly, and your use of "expectation" is not idiomatic.

This project overran expectations by ten years.

This project has overrun expectations by ten years.

Please also notice that i replaced "10" with "ten." You did the same thing with your question about "2 [sic] telephones." Typically, in written English, numbers ten or fewer (some writers go as far as numbers fewer than 13) are written out and the arabic numerals are only used for larger numbers. So you would write "two telephones" not "2 telephones" and you would write "ten years" and not "10 years."

I am assuming you want to lwarn how standard English is written, and not how the poorly educated or careless write things when sending text messages. If i am wrong about that, oh well, silly me.
knaivete

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 10:59 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I am assuming you want to lwarn how standard English is written,and not how the poorly educated or careless write things when sending text messages. If i am wrong about that, oh well, silly me.

It's ok to be silly, we all make misstakes.
0 Replies

Arafat

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:28 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you, I will remedy my written English , and I can't understand why u used expectations.....not without "s"?
0 Replies