Confused if past or present tense is correct in this sentence

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 03:38 am
I am attempting to write a fantasy novel from a 3rd person POV in the past tense, but I am confused with a particular sentence and not sure if it is correct or not .
The sentence is about the bride mulling over her forthcoming wedding :

"She now knew that tomorrow, when they made their marriage vows in front of family and friends, it would all be part of an ultimate grand design." 

Is "made" wrong as tomorrow is in the future? Should it be "make" ? Somehow that doesn't sound right.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 419 • Replies: 9
No top replies

hightor

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 03:40 am
@Goodevans,
How about, "when they would make their marriage vows..."?
Goodevans

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 05:25 am
@hightor,
Thank you for your reply. I agree that does sound much better but I now have a repetition of the word would in quick succession! I'm getting myself in knots over this and maybe should rewrite this passage entirely.
I think after writing 57 chapters my brain is fatigued with it all !
Not thought so much about Grammar since I was at school and that was a long time ago ....
hightor

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 05:40 am
@Goodevans,
"She now knew that tomorrow, when they made their marriage vows in front of family and friends, it would all be part of an ultimate grand design." 

Something makes me think this might be okay as it is but I don't know the grammatical explanation. I agree that having the two "woulds" in quick succession is not ideal. Unless a better grammarian than I shows up it might be easiest to do a rewrite!
Goodevans

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 06:11 am
@hightor,
Thank you .
I'm glad you feel that it could be correct too as it makes me feel less stupid for writing it initially ! It's a bit of a conundrum as to why it sounds right when it could be totally wrong 😖
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 06:32 am
@Goodevans,
The sentence as it stands is wrong, because we're looking forward to an event that hasn't happened yet.

As written it should be make because she is talking about the moment the vows are made.

If you wrote "once they made" instead of "when they made" it would also be correct because she would be talking about the moment after the vows were made.

Hope this helps.
Goodevans

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 07:06 am
@izzythepush,
Thank you for your help.
I shall go with your suggestion of "once they made".
Thanks for clarifying how the difference in timelines changes things 👍
izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 07:14 am
@Goodevans,
And it doesn't jar like when they make would even though it's correct.

That's the thing about grammar it changes, when something sounds wrong people stop saying it.

Glad I could help.
Mame

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 08:16 am
@izzythepush,
"She now knew that tomorrow, once when they made their marriage vows in front of family and friends, (it) would all be part of an ultimate grand design."

You don't need IT. Remove the commas and try again. "...tomorrow would all be part of..." You also don't need "all". "...tomorrow would be part of...
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 02:46 pm
@Goodevans,

Try

""She now knew that tomorrow's marriage vows in front of family and friends would be part of an ultimate grand design."

or

"She now knew that tomorrow's events would all be part of an ultimate grand design."
0 Replies