Temporary partial blindness

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 01:42 pm
Yea, I know, consult a doctor. Trouble is, the kinds of things I often encounter are a complete mystery to The Establishment

Occasionally experience partial blindness. Smaller or bigger blind spot encircled by beautiful criscross in various colors. Like so many of my life's experiences, the GP had "Never heard of any such thing." Otherwise vision just fine at 83

Googling unsuccessful, I suspect it's something going on not in the visual system but the brain. But has anyone else experienced this peculiar condition and if so do you know what causes it

Thanks guys

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 01:49 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Yea, I know, consult a doctor. Trouble is, the kinds of things I often encounter are a complete mystery to The Establishment

Occasionally experience partial blindness. Smaller or bigger blind spot encircled by beautiful criscross in various colors. Like so many of my life's experiences, the GP had "Never heard of any such thing." Otherwise vision just fine at 83

Googling unsuccessful, I suspect it's something going on not in the visual system but the brain. But has anyone else experienced this peculiar condition and if so do you know what causes it

Thanks guys

Really. A doctor who says he never heard of such a thing???

I've had 'em...and they were diagnosed as being part of a mini-stroke...or TIA. They can also be associated with the aura of a migraine.

You might wanna think about another doctor...particularly a neurologist.
Germlat

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 01:58 pm
@dalehileman,
Could be Tia's or ocular migraines..if you're a diabetic take heed. No matter what, you need to see a doctor. I hope you are smart enough to seek help. There may be help for you yet....
farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 02:06 pm
@dalehileman,
are you on blood thinners and do you keep your numbers in the acceptable range ?
I like warfarin because I can monitor my own Pro-times
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 02:31 pm
I'd see an ophthalmologist as a first choice for someone to consult. They also know about brain issues related to eye issues, and medication issues re eye issues. No, not an optometrist, a board certified ophthalmologist, preferably one at a teaching hospital center. In any case, someone in your area. Tell them the symptoms when you call so they don't lag re time to wait before you can see and talk with them.

I see mine twice a year at a university eye clinic for my own long term eye problems. Man knows what he is doing.

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 03:15 pm
@Germlat,
You might have nailed it, Germy.
And, like you said.
Best to consult a doc.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 04:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Really. A doctor who says he never heard of such a thing???
Believe it or not Frank

Quote:
I've had 'em...and they were diagnosed as being part of a mini-stroke...or TIA.
I've experienced it for years. Wondering how long before everything goes to hell

http://onelook.com/?w=TIA&ls=a

Quote:
They can also be associated with the aura of a migraine.
Haven't had a full-blown headache for 60 years. Maybe the colorful circle is God's punishment for having avoided one of Man's most common sufferings, a sort of substitute. She reasons that worrying about the blindness might bring on the knob throb

Quote:
You might wanna think about another doctor...particularly a neurologist
We do have a new GP and of course I intend to bring it up next visit. Also my eye clinic has a new doctor so I'll bring it up there too

Thanks for your observations Frank
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 04:04 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
are you on blood thinners
Man I don't think so

Quote:
I like warfarin because I can monitor my own Pro-times
I'd suppose my GP would have informed me if I had thick blood (?) problems

But thanks man for the suggestions
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 04:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
not an optometrist, a board certified ophthalmologist
Okay and thaxnks Oss; if my opto can't diagnose it I'll ask him to recommend an opth

I had hoped to turn up somebody having had exactly the same problem but apparently it's rare. Thanks anyhow
0 Replies

victorcarjan

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 05:58 pm
@dalehileman,
Given your age. Am I right to suspect that you are taking some form of medications? Also, when do these "blind spots" occur?

The eyes are a very interesting part of the human body. The blind spots you described seem similar in ways to sun spots. It could be from your computer screen. The medication ties into the dehydration aspect of the eyes. If your body does not have enough water, the eyes are typically one of the first points that get sacrificed for parts of the body that are more necessary in the survival of the body as a whole.

If my assessment is correct, more water should stop the spots from occurring. However, if you wanted to take safeguarding the health of your eyes further, I'd recommend a pair of sunglasses that will prevent more direct light from affecting your eyes, while not impairing your ability to see what you need. You can also decrease the brightness of your monitor screen.

0 Replies