English grammar

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 12:09 pm
Could somebody please explain if the following is correct and if so what it is an example of? It was part of a homework where the sentence was said to be incorrect and how should it be changed. Original read "Pansy's ready" which I know to be correct but would changing it to

"Pansies ready" also be correct?

I can't help feel it is incorrect but if it is correct is it a declarative statement?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 587 • Replies: 7
No top replies

PERPLEXED51

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 12:33 pm
@PERPLEXED51,
I'm assuming everybody is scratching their heads at my ignorance but yes it really is a genuine question.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 12:34 pm
@PERPLEXED51,
It would help if we could see the complete sentence as it appeared in your assignment. Pansy can be the name of a flower, or it can be the given name or nickname of a woman or girl. If one were referring to the flower, one would write "Pansies [are] ready." If one were referring to a woman or a girl, one would write "Pansy's ready" (i.e., the contraction of Pansy is).

Please provide the entire sentence as it appeared in your assignment--it reads as though the English in the sentence is awkward, and possibly incorrect, without reference to Pansy.
PERPLEXED51

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 12:44 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you but the actual statement was that exactly,

"All these are example are wrong. In all the genuine examples listed, the apostrophe is either in the wrong place or not needed.

Pansy's ready. (or is she)"

Assuming the teacher wants it changed to something different would
"Pansies ready" be correct it just sounds incorrect like saying "Jellies ready"

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 12:53 pm
@PERPLEXED51,
I suspect your course material in not reliable. So, for example, "Pansy's ready. (or is she)" is correct. The parenthetical entry, "or is she," indicates that Pansy in this case is the given name or the nickname of a woman or girl. In that case, "Pansy's ready" is correct because it is the contraction of "Pansy is ready." If John were ready, i might write "John is ready," or i might write "John's ready."

You are correct that changing "Pansy's ready" would be incorrect.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 12:58 pm
@PERPLEXED51,
The second sentence is wrong. Pansy can be a type of flower, but in this case Pansy is a person's name. To form the contraction of "Pansy is", you cannot change the person's name. You would have to say something like "Pansy's ready", or Pansy is ready.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 01:06 pm
@PERPLEXED51,
PERPLEXED51 wrote:

"All these are example are wrong. In all the genuine examples listed, the apostrophe is either in the wrong place or not needed.

Pansy's ready. (or is she)"

Assuming the teacher wants it changed to something different would
"Pansies ready" be correct it just sounds incorrect like saying "Jellies ready"

The second part, belatedly revealed, tells us that Pansy is a person. Pansy is a female name; many English girls are named after flowers. There are no mistakes in "Pansy's ready", the apostrophe is not misplaced and is necessary. However, the second part "(or is she)" should either be a part of the main sentence or else start with a capital letter, and in either case should end with a question mark:

Pansy's ready (or is she?)
Pansy's ready. Or is she?
Pansy's ready. (Or is she?)

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 01:29 pm
@PERPLEXED51,
Quote:
Perp, what exactly
0 Replies