Should my friend get these appraised?

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 02:00 pm
My friend has art hung on the walls of her condo. She does not know if it is valuable or not. I snapped some photos & told her I would try to find out if anybody knows who the artists are, maybe she should have them insured???

My apologies for the glare in some photos. I was alone & did not want to risk damaging the art by removing the glass, and I tried several times but could not get a better shot & was on my way out, no time!

She got the artwork from her ex-inlaws, when she and her ex were first married, probably 20 years ago give or take. They were a wealthy (???) family in the textile business, in Mexico City. (I had no idea there was much money in textiles in Mexico, but who knows?)

Hopefully the link should work, I have not used icloud before.

Thanks, any info or advice is deeply appreciated!

https://www.icloud.com/iw/#keynote/BAIYWP60StumqqdTUo2BwAZB0VmSnOWlfPqF/Art_photos

jespah

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 03:25 pm
@Dremonstrrr,
Oh, there's money is apparel in Mexico (my relatives are in a similar business there).

I'd say, what the hell, get 'em appraised. There are tons of Picasso prints; I doubt your friend's print (probably) is worth much. There are the other items "To Mozart" and "Las mil cosas" - can't tell who the artists are except that they're not Botero (he has a rather distinctive style).

I am no expert and I don't know how much an appraisal costs, but you could conceivably at least see about getting an insurance appraisal. That might run cheaper (although it might also mean an overestimate of value).
Dremonstrrr

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 07:56 am
@jespah,
Thanks,
Well I was hoping to find some information online, if possible, about the artwork or artists to give her some incentive. She is a teacher and I thought it might be helpful to let her know that she owns something valuable!

However, I don't think she is interested enough to take them to an appraiser. So I am still looking for any opinions, amateur, or otherwise!

I know nothing about art, so I don't even know how to tell, what characteristics to look for. So I said to myself, "I know! I'll ask THE INTERNET!"

LOL!
timur

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 09:00 am
@Dremonstrrr,
I'm a bit lazy on Sundays to look all the pictures but if "Las mil cosas" is an original lithography as it seems to be, it may be worth appraising.

Look here how much it sells another lithography of Leticia Tarragó
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 06:11 pm
@Dremonstrrr,
I think what you friend should do is to post pictures of the artwork on an Internet forum...and get opinions from strangers who probably do not know what in hell they are talking about.

You probably agree with me, right?
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 06:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The rhetorical putz is boiling within you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 03:27 am
@Dremonstrrr,
Dremonstrrr wrote:

Well I was hoping to find some information online,

Good luck with that. Art dealers are a small clique, I buy paintings at car boot sales. Trying to find the real value of a piece when you have the artists name is not easy, most art websites require membership to find out what something raealised at auction, and membership is very very expensive.
timur

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 05:40 am
Frank wrote:
and get opinions from strangers who probably do not know what in hell they are talking about.

Talk about a self description.

But I'm used to your utterly self serving nonsense, Frank.

Your babbling is defeating the purpose of A2K.

Fortunately, some knowledgeable members are still around and give information that you are incapable of supplying.

timur

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 05:43 am
@izzythepush,
I agree appraising is not that easy but at least you can get some information about the artists and their works, so you are not completely in the dark.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 08:59 am
@Dremonstrrr,
Picture number 3:

Nasser Ovissi: Woman with Pomegranates and Horse
0 Replies

timur

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 09:35 am
@Dremonstrrr,
Picture number 5:

/0/]Teresa Olabuenaga
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:04 am
@timur,
timur wrote:

Frank wrote:
and get opinions from strangers who probably do not know what in hell they are talking about.

Talk about a self description.

But I'm used to your utterly self serving nonsense, Frank.

Your babbling is defeating the purpose of A2K.

Fortunately, some knowledgeable members are still around and give information that you are incapable of supplying.

My comments are not defeating at all, Timur.

Your lack of self-control may be defeating to your purposes.

This individual came to ask total strangers on the Internet what do do about a collection of art which MAY OR MAY NOT BE VALUABLE.

The only reasonable answer is one the individual should have known without asking...YOU HAVE GOT TO ASK AN EXPERT.

Or she could ask you, Timur...since you are so competent in art value that you can give anything other than that advice over the Internet!!!! (Said with a heavy dose of sarcasm!)
timur

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:36 am
@Frank Apisa,
All I have seen from you is your pretending to know stuff about people, what they think, what they are and what they should do.

Even pretending to know about my self control.

Geez, what a wretch!
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 12:57 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

All I have seen from you is your pretending to know stuff about people, what they think, what they are and what they should do.

Is that an admission that you have not been looking very hard?

Certainly sounds like that to me.

Quote:
Even pretending to know about my self control.

You almost created a sentence there, Timur...but not quite.

Anyway...it seems to me that you have very little self-control. I acknowledge I MIGHT be wrong on that, but I suspect not.

You really do allow people to get you angry too easily.

Calm down.

Quote:
Geez, what a wretch!

I am one of the most content people I know...and consider myself to be one of the luckiest people on the planet.

The "wretch" is gratuitous...and hilarious. Probably a product of your lack of self-control.

0 Replies

timur

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 01:19 pm
Frank wrote:
You almost created a sentence there.

See, Frank, I don't pretend to know the finesse of your language.

I use it as a tool and sometimes it comes out clumsy.

However, the underlying idea are that you should not brag about what you think people are or think, you do a poor job on that field.

My firm belief is that you are ill-endowed as a human being.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 01:26 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

Frank wrote:
You almost created a sentence there.

See, Frank, I don't pretend to know the finesse of your language.

I use it as a tool and sometimes it comes out clumsy.

Actually, Timur, you do quite well with it. I thought you were an American. I was just returning a gratuitous insult that you sent my way.

Quote:
However, the underlying idea are that you should not brag about what you think people are or think, you do a poor job on that field.

I think people should not brag...and I try not to do so. Not sure what you consider me bragging...but you are almost certainly mistaken.

Quote:
My firm belief is that you are ill-endowed as a human being.

Well, I am not "endowed" as must as I'd like to be, but I am 78 years old and the "endowment" does not mean as much to me now as it once did.

You ought really to work on that anger management I mentioned earlier, Timur. You've got a long way to go...so best you get started.
Wink
0 Replies

timur

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 01:34 pm
Frank wrote:
You ought really to work on that anger management I mentioned earlier,

Again, not only you are assuming but pretending too.

You couldn't be further from the truth.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 01:43 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

Frank wrote:
You ought really to work on that anger management I mentioned earlier,

Again, not only you are assuming but pretending too.

You couldn't be further from the truth.

That is always the possibility, Timur.

But when I hear quacking...I almost always suppose there is a duck around.

You give every indication of a person with anger problems...and you also give indications of being a person who allows others to drive him to anger easily.

The fact that you use that absurdly stern picture of Ohm as an avatar...a picture with no humor showing at all...and a picture seemingly of someone who recently used jalapeno pepper toilet tissue...reinforces my opinion.

But as I said...there is the possibility that I may be wrong.
timur

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 01:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Your superficial analysis of my avatar just shows you have no imagination whatsoever.

I'm not enlightening you.

You are wrong on all counts.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 02:07 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

Your superficial analysis of my avatar just shows you have no imagination whatsoever.

It shows nothing of the sort.

Try to stay focused, Timur. If you are out of control...your arguments fall flat.

Quote:
I'm not enlightening you.

No...you are entertaining me. And for that I thank you.

Quote:

You are wrong on all counts.

Well, we will never know, because you are not "enlightening" me. Wink
0 Replies