What if no religions are correct, but there still is a God?

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 09:29 am
@FBM,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
"are one" and "shall be as one" are not equivalent statements.

It is a distinction without significance. My high school football team had the motto: 'We Are One'. Same story on the movie "We Are Marshal". It's not meant to be literal. It's a figure of speech.
neologist

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 09:44 am
@FBM,
KoreanGodBeliever wrote:
Quote:
Matthew 28:19 - Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
1 John 5:7 - For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
FBM wrote:
Neo?
Apparently, there could be as many as four individuals involved.
Quote:
But I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn, the head of a woman is the man; in turn, the head of the Christ is God (1 Corinthians 11:13)
Seriously.!?
To whom did Jesus pray?
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 07:47 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
@Leadfoot,
"are one" and "shall be as one" are not equivalent statements.

It is a distinction without significance. My high school football team had the motto: 'We Are One'. Same story on the movie "We Are Marshal". It's not meant to be literal. It's a figure of speech.

So we need some objectively verifiable metrics with which to determine which of the passages in the scriptures are literal and which are metaphorical. How about the one where a woman who is not a virgin on her wedding day should be put to death? Or doing good to those who rebuke and revile you? Or the bit about there being a god that created everything? What are the tags that tell us with certainty which are metaporical and which are literal? What's to keep someone with a agenda from just cherry picking the ones they like and ignoring the rest?
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 08:05 am
@FBM,
Quote:
What's to keep someone with a agenda from just cherry picking the ones they like and ignoring the rest?

Absolutely nothing at all. It's done all the time, especially by 'religions'.
FBM

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 08:11 am
@Leadfoot,
And by faith-inspired individuals, I would say. Groups/religions are made up of individuals, after all.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 08:31 am
@FBM,
Quote:

And by faith-inspired individuals, I would say. Groups/religions are made up of individuals, after all.

True, and it is up to individuals to decide if they are doing that.

An Army is made up of individuals too. One says nothing about the other.
FBM

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 08:37 am
@Leadfoot,
Or maybe the one says everything about the other, no? What's your reasoning? The one thing the faithful have in common is a (blind) belief in that which cannot be presented for objective verification. An individual with such a claim of an invisible friend in the sky who talks to them and tells them what to do is considered insane, but large groups of them make a religion. What am I missing?
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 09:07 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Or maybe the one says everything about the other, no?

It doesn't apply to all groups but if you are in a group that that really DOES say everything about you and you don't agree with those things, it behooves you to get out.

Yes, there are those who will place you in a 'group' for just believing in God and make all kinds of assumptions about you. In that case you have to decide which is more important, your beliefs or their disapproval.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 11:20 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
. . . What are the tags that tell us with certainty which are metaporical and which are literal? What's to keep someone with a agenda from just cherry picking the ones they like and ignoring the rest?
There are a few ways. You could start with Paul's contention at 2 Timothy 3:16:
Quote:
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
I take this to mean that the scriptures should be consistent. What many claim to be Bible contradictions should all have explanation. This may be an embarrassment to nominal christians who cannot reconcile the seemingly harsh standards of the Law Covenant with the loving message of Jesus Christ.

Lots of straw man arguments come about through the misrepresentations of the clergy. One of the greatest may be the failure of traditional religion to understand that the entire human race is currently under the control of God's accuser. Check my profile for explanatory link. (OK, I know you have. Perhaps others could benefit)
Ntsoperfect

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 10:31 pm
@neologist,
The world will become a beautiful place...but I guess it will remain a dream. I wish there were none of us asking the definition of 'him'. I wish we had no holy books appraising there understanding of God. I wish we had him always like a like a air, no matter where we are who we are. The air has no messenger but still keeps us alive.
I don't want a religious just like you. I want to follow him with my own experiences and my understanding.
I want no religion but just my god!!
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 10:59 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

FBM wrote:
. . . What are the tags that tell us with certainty which are metaporical and which are literal? What's to keep someone with a agenda from just cherry picking the ones they like and ignoring the rest?

Quote:

Quote:
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

I take this to mean that the scriptures should be consistent. What many claim to be Bible contradictions should all have explanation. This may be an embarrassment to nominal christians who cannot reconcile the seemingly harsh standards of the Law Covenant with the loving message of Jesus Christ.

Case in point. You had to cherry pick that passage, no? If "all scripture is God-breathed" and useful, how about:

Quote:
20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

Quote:
Lots of straw man arguments come about through the misrepresentations of the clergy. One of the greatest may be the failure of traditional religion to understand that the entire human race is currently under the control of God's accuser. Check my profile for explanatory link. (OK, I know you have. Perhaps others could benefit)

Well, that's just more claim. A lot of what you claim to be straw men are "God-breathed" instructions. Again, scripture is the claim; I'll wait for evidence, thanks.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 05:33 am
@neologist,
Quote:
the entire human race is currently under the control of God's accuser
The rest of your post was pretty good, but I think it would be more accurate to say that 'the human races 'environment' is under the control....'

To FBM's point, I would say that the scripture he pointed out is also good for instruction. There were, and still are, religious leaders who go so 'over the top' in their perception of 'the law' that they become misguided fools. That is an important lesson to learn.

Even Paul, who wrote most in the NT, was persecuting believers before he finally understood.
neologist

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 12:21 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
neologist wrote:
Quote:
FBM wrote:
Case in point. You had to cherry pick that passage, no? If "all scripture is God-breathed" and useful, how about:
Quote:
20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.
I believe you cherry picked that one, eh? Do you need explanation?
neologist wrote:
FBM wrote:
Well, that's just more claim. A lot of what you claim to be straw men are "God-breathed" instructions. Again, scripture is the claim; I'll wait for evidence, thanks.
Define "evidence".
neologist

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 12:25 am
@Leadfoot,
Were Satan not in complete control over the world, he could not have offered it to Jesus at Matthew 4:9.
FBM

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 12:35 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

I believe you cherry picked that one, eh? Do you need explanation?

No, I think I demonstrated my point well enough.

neologist wrote:
Define "evidence".

Again?
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 09:13 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Were Satan not in complete control over the world, he could not have offered it to Jesus at Matthew 4:9.
Two possible answers, take your pick:
1. Having control of "the world" is more or less the same thing as I said - "control over our environment". He has access to us, he can make suggestions, etc but that is not 'control'. Having control over the 'human race' implies universal control of the people themselves, which he doesn't. Unless you consent of course.

2. He lied.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 10:52 am
I haven't read the whole thread, but one could pose a contrary question: what if all religions are correct, but there is no God? What's left? Metaphors, which connect us with the rest of the universe.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 07:17 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
Again?
Hop on!
FBM

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 08:37 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

FBM wrote: