Is this a formal spoken or informal spoken ?

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 07:08 am
I can always see a man using a kind of device to detect the lost stuff of tourist that is under the sand.
I thought this is a grammatically correct sentence ,but still fell something is wrong here. Anyone can help ? Do native speaker speak like this ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 512 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 07:17 am
@Arafat ,
Arafat wrote:

I can always see a man using a kind of device to detect the lost stuff of tourist that is under the sand.
I thought this is a grammatically correct sentence ,but still fell something is wrong here. Anyone can help ? Do native speaker speak like this ?

That sentence does not make clear what are you trying to say, Arafat.

Are you actually talking about "what you can always see?" (I doubt that.)

If you are trying to say, "Sometimes people use detecting devices to find stuff lost on the beach by tourists"...just say that.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 07:45 am
@Arafat ,
"I often see people using metal detectors trying to find lost stuff of tourists hidden underneath the sand."
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 08:05 am
Ooops..allow me to correct my previously suggested sentence.
It should read: "I often see people using metal detectors trying to find lost stuff hidden underneath the sand which belongs to tourists ."

Otherwise, this sentence would sound as though it was referring to the tourist hidden underneath the sand. This grammatical mistake is known as a misplaced modifier - which is something that can catch us native-English speakers unaware.
0 Replies

Arafat

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2014 04:50 pm
Thx for all ur passion to my question Smile
0 Replies