Verbal lease

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 09:17 pm
Hello I'm from texas and I'm having problems with landlord we don't have a lease he won't take money orders only cash cause he said he has a very hard cashing them and never gives reciptes well w
We had a bad storm it tore some shingles off and he came and got on roof and removed awhole bunch off this made the roof leak and collapse now u can see all the way threw to the outside threw the roof that's how much he removed I told him he needs to fix a d take off my rent or pay me back for the damages he made from it he said no for us to move so he could fix it I said no we could go to court in then so we going to court tomarrow and I need to know how much time will u think judge give us with no lease and with the damages the landlord made . We just want at least our deposit back or paid for our damages he did and some time to get a nother place can someone please give me some advice is appreciata it thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,175 • Replies: 3
No top replies

LiveLoughLaugh24

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 09:14 pm
@Party325,
I'm not very experienced in this area but it sounds fishy to me.
Any time you rent a place it's highly recommended you sign a lease. That way there's some kind of legal proof you are renting from the landlord. Now, since you don't have a lease the biggest challenge you may face at the court is lack of proof. How will the court know that you actually rented this place from that idiot? How does the court know you are not lying if you don't even have receipts? The fact that he doesn't require a lease and refuses anything but cash rings a warning bell to me. Good luck at court. Hope it works out for you.
Next time though make sure you have some kind of proof whether it's lease, a housing document or receipt in case a situation like this occurs.
roger

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 09:43 pm
@LiveLoughLaugh24,
Yeah, a few warning bells.

A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on.

If it isn't documented, it didn't happen.

0 Replies

shielah

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 02:35 am
@Party325,
Verbal agreement is always not legal. It should be written in papers. In your case, its good as nothing.
0 Replies