My ex husband wants to sign over rights to my fiance

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 07:10 pm
My ex husband has always been bad about paying child support and often refuses to pay. The children live with me but he does visit with them. Now he wants to sign over his "financial rights"to my fiance. Can he do that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,209 • Replies: 8

Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 07:18 pm
@sarahprice,
What does your lawyer advise?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 07:18 pm
@sarahprice,
I don't understand what that means.....
roger

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 07:59 pm
@chai2,
Neither do I. He has no financial rights, but it very much sounds like he has some enforceable financial responsibilities. I'm willing to bet he wants to dump the support payments and keep the parental rights.

What won't they think of next.
0 Replies

sarahprice

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 08:41 pm
@sarahprice,
He doesn't want to pay child support at all. He wants my fiance and I to be fully financially responsible for the children. Honestly, we would love it if he would just sign them over. But I'm not sure a court would let him do that.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 09:05 pm
You and your finance are not married, so he can't adopt the kids - which is what your dead-beat ex wants so he will be off the hook, financially.

If you are in the US, you will have to go thru the courts anytime the children are concerned.
roger

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 09:48 pm
@sarahprice,
I would be very surprised to see a court reassign financial responsibility. I doubt anything short of adoption will alter that. Old business saying "You can delegate authority, but you cannot delegate responsibility, and this is what the father seems to be seeking. The court will likely be guided by what it considers to be the best interests of the child.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 03:58 am
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
You and your finance are not married, so he can't adopt the kids

Not true at all see the case of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie adopting three children together as a non-married couple.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 04:35 am
@sarahprice,
Even if your fiancé (who can possibly be a part of the adoption of your child even though you are not yet wed; check the laws in your state) takes on full financial, etc. responsibility, your ex-husband isn't going to be absolved from paying back child support.

Get thee to a lawyer. Get your divorce and child support agreement altered to garnish your ex's wages and possibly even repo some of his possessions in order to pay the old debts. They will not be discharged by an adoption. This is not like declaring bankruptcy.
0 Replies