"Xanth," Piers Anthony Novel to be a Wolfgang Petersen Film

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 08:21 am
From Variety:

Warner Bros. has bought rights to the Piers Anthony-penned fantasy novel series "Xanth" to be produced by "Troy" director Wolfgang Petersen and writer David Benioff, along with Diana Rathbun of Petersen's Radiant Productions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,022 • Replies: 18
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 09:29 am
heh, should be interesting if it ever amounts to anything. It's been years since I read the Xanth series but they were a great collection of books.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 09:31 am
I'm always up for more scifi movies.....
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:02 am
Why does this not suprise me? Instant sequals...
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:03 am
D'oh! I was thinking of Piers Anthony's 'Myth' series...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:04 am
Oh, cool!

I've always thought "A Spell for Chameleon" would make a great movie. The rest of 'em are kind of whatever though. Too many puns (I like puns as long as they're GOOD) and too much looking up skirts.

(I vividly remember the moment in hmmm 7th grade when I realized that "Xanth" was from PierZ ANTHony. I thought this was a major breakthrough, and my friend was like duh and I was crushed. :-D)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:07 am
We had a fine filmmaker muck up "Dune" which could have also been a series. The Sci-Fi miniseries of "Children of Dune" was a TV movie and the best of the adaptations of Herbert's sci-fi masterpiece. Wish someone would produce "Santaroga Barrier" as it has so much to do with today's society. It's Frank Herbert's drug culture based theme brought down to Earth.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:12 am
It's been so long since I looked at his books I hadn't realized he had continued on with the Xanth series. The last one I read was "Dragon on a Pedestal" which was the 7th book of the series. Now he's got 29 books in the series and he's still going at it. Surprised
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:09 am
Wow, you're really on the cutting edge, LW - this project isn't even on IMDB yet.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:18 am
I get Variety, J. I have to have at least two cups of coffee before I can decipher their headlines but they do come up with the real entertainment scoops.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 12:27 pm
The early Xanth novels are well written, but for the last ten years there have been more puns than plot.

Still, the news is cheering.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 12:51 pm
Like fishin', I didn't actually know that there WERE a last 10 years. I stopped paying attention probably 15 years ago. But even then, very much so on the more puns than plot. Plus a whole lot of skirt-looking-upping.

"A Spell for Chameleon" is a great story, though.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 03:03 pm
sozobe--

Thanks. I have a lot of time for reading these days and was thinking of some of the new Xanth books---but I'd forgotten about the sniggering.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 03:17 pm
What Noddy said - "More puns than plot."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:28 am
The first of the books is the one being filmed:

"A Spell for Chameleon" is currently the film being cast.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:33 am
Great!

The best, by far. Partly because the twist is so good, and that's the background for all the subsequent books. But also just much more carefully written.

Do you know anything about who they're looking at for the cast?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:47 am
So early in the game -- Petersen is said to be embarking on the casting of the film. It may be fun to take the characters and come up with your own cast (done elsewhere in A2K with some intriguing results). You don't suppose Petersen will find something for Brad Pitt?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 11:05 am
I'd have to remember the characters -- the main guy is pretty young (I don't remember his name!! Chameleon? Wasn't there some other name he went by though? I'll have to check out Amazon or something and refresh.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 11:07 am
Bink!
0 Replies