Bad thumps with "DP 40 CAP 2" el. box - help, please!

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 05:08 pm
A 6"x6" electrical box in garage, which has something to do with well water turning on (and off?), labeled inside DP 40 CAP 2, and Hermatic Refrigeration Compressor*, is making bad noises. Should be medium thump and a click, now doing loud THUMP thump or THUMP THUMP THUMP (random series of 2-8 times), followed by the quieter but still too noisy thump, then sometimes with a clatter.

Box has 4 metal conduit-covered wires coming or going into it. All but one disappears behind garage wall, the 4th feeds a 240 receptacle. Box is 3 yrs old, same as well etc.

Orig. contractor in prison.

Hubby in hospital w/bladder cancer & I (wife) just want to know enough of possible problems so next contractor doesn't sell me Brooklyn Bridge.

*We have central (refridged) air, but that has nothing to do w/well kicking on and off.

Thanks so very much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,090 • Replies: 5
No top replies

bahtah

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 01:48 am
@wild4ranches,
Sorry about your husband. If there is a contactor in the box, chatter is typically caused by either something on the armature surface preventing the armature from closing completely or broken shading coil (small wire loop on stationary part of armature) that allows armature to hold when sine-wave is crossing zero by providing a magnetic field that is out of phase with the larger armature coil. It does not require as strong a magnetic effect to hold the armature closed so the smaller shading coil can do the job. If the shading coil is broken the armature keeps dropping open and then closing again which is the chatter noise. I would suggest you call well contractor to take a look.
wild4ranches

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 11:38 am
@bahtah,
Thanks, Bahtah, for your "get well"comments regarding my husband. Nice thing about removal of bladder and all nearby parts is that cancer can never strike there again. Gruesome, but need to keep positive.

I've got potential problems with the well too; have noticed pressure gauge showing upwards of 80 to 100 psi. Should be running at 60-65 psi. So I've either got a bad gauge or am in for big buck repairs. Need prayers.

Hmm... Wonder if thump-thump related to conky well pressure.

Your answer to the electric box thumping makes sense. I'm going to have to call an electrician, UNLESS advice would be to call a well man.

Thank you!

JTT

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 01:14 pm
@wild4ranches,
Quote:
I got potential problems with the well too; have noticed pressure gauge showing upwards of 80 to 100 psi. Should be running at 60-65 psi.

It could be that you have a stuck pressure control switch. Run some water so that the well pump comes on. Watch the pressure gauge until it gets close to your normal high pressure cut out point. When it reaches that point or above, tap the plastic casing surrounding the pressure switch with the handle of a screwdriver. That might jar it into shutting off.

If that happens, you can sometimes resurrect the valve by spraying a lubricant like WD40 on the valve spring.

BE VERY CAREFUL WORKING AROUND THIS LOCATION WITH THE PLASTIC COVER OFF!! There are exposed electrical contacts points!!!

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 01:20 pm
@wild4ranches,
Quote:
Quote:
I got potential problems with the well too; have noticed pressure gauge showing upwards of 80 to 100 psi. Should be running at 60-65 psi.

Yes, high pressure like you say you are getting could be causing those sounds, maybe water hammer. Does the sound come at the point where the well pump finally turns off at 80 plus psi?
0 Replies

bahtah

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 06:21 pm
@wild4ranches,
If what you are hearing is the pump starting and stopping more often then normal and you have a pressure tank with the air bladder in the top, check to see if the air has escaped. The air bladder provides pressure against the water in the tank when you are using water so that the pump only comes on after a certain amount of water has been used and the pressure drops. If the bladder has no air, when ever you turn on the water, the pressure drops and the pumps starts. Could be cycling on/off causing water hammer in the pipes. The switch that controls the pump should be adjustable.
0 Replies