Facial spasms and/or eye twitch

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 09:48 am
Over the last 4 years or so, I have developed an eye twitch on my left side. It went away for a while but has now come back and I think getting worse (it has now traveled down my check toward my mouth). I recently saw my opthamologist and he diagnosed it as hemi facial spasms. I have had an MRI and saw a neurologist within the last few weeks. The MRI came back negative - and my neurologist gave me a thorough check up and went over the MRI with me. He indicated that he couldn't see anything that would be causing the spasms. I have no pain but it is very irritating and I feel very self conscious about it.
My opthamologist recommended botox shots treatments and my neurologist agreed. I'm told the shots are not a long term fix and there doesn't seem to be any other options that work. The thing about the shots is that I would have treatment every few months. The spasms may or may not cease with this treatment. I'm interested to know if anyone out there has experienced this problem and if botox shots have been used for treatment and, if so, what their experience was like using the botox treatment. Also, are there any other known treatments that anyone has tried that may help, besides the shots? I'm not completely sold on the botox shots yet because of some of the side effects.
I am anxious to have a discussion with anyone who could enlighten me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 499 • Replies: 3
No top replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 09:52 am
Stop reading coldjoint's posts.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 09:59 am
@hshcleaner,
Allow me to ask you a question: If you have seen your physician, an ophthalmologist, a neurologist and had an MRI with negative results, how can a bunch of strangers on the Internet who are non-medical laymen give you any useful advice will flying totally blind?

The best most useful help you can get is from a licensed medical expert who sees you in person. In turn, they should provide results from the database of people who have been treated with Botox and their success rate.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 11:11 am
@hshcleaner,
I suggest you ask your physician for a referral to a local plastic surgeon, someone who injects Botox for a living. Reputable surgeons will be glad to hook you up with people who've been through the procedure and can tell you how it felt, how satisfied they were, etc. Chances are that you'd be getting a referral to a plastic surgeon anyway (I doubt your primary care physician is equipped to handle this type of a procedure), so ask!
0 Replies