eliminate their residential houses? Aren't the residential houses their own legal properties?

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 01:20 am
Has the government the power to grab away the lawful properties?
I believe I failed to get the grammatical meaning.

Context:

Wesleyan announced that it was reconsidering the status of fraternities, possibly requiring them to accept women, eliminate their residential houses or disband entirely. Nearby, Trinity College is trying to force fraternities to include female members. And starting July 1, Amherst College will prohibit students from belonging to any fraternity or sorority, even off campus.

More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/13/education/fraternities-are-focus-of-measures-to-reduce-assaults-and-misconduct.html?hp
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 532 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 05:41 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Has the government the power to grab away the lawful properties?
I believe I failed to get the grammatical meaning.

The article is about a college or university regulating acceptable housing for students who attend their institution. It isn't really a government that is exercising this power.

And it doesn't really prevent the ownership of those houses. It just regulates the conditions under which active students can live in them.

Quote:
possibly requiring them to accept women,

I don't know that adding a permanent female presence to frat houses will solve the problem that they are hoping to solve. Shocked
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 05:54 am
@oristarA,
By the way, the government does have the power to seize property under certain circumstances -- for instance, say they want to build a road right where someone's house is.

However, the government is required to pay fair market value for whatever it seizes. And if someone doesn't think they are being paid enough, they can go to court and argue for a higher payment.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 07:23 am
@oralloy,
Thank you Oralloy.
What does "eliminate" mean there?
oralloy
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 08:17 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Thank you Oralloy.
What does "eliminate" mean there?

I was going to say they would establish a rule saying that students could not live in fraternity houses.

But I notice that word "residential".

Perhaps the college has some on-campus housing, owned by the college, that they allow fraternities to use. If that is the case, then maybe they are proposing to stop letting fraternities use college property for their frat house.

But if not that, then I would think they were proposing a broad rule that forbade students from having frat houses at all.
0 Replies