West Antarctic Ice Sheet Is Collapsing

revelette2

Reply Wed 21 May, 2014 09:48 am
@Setanta,
I didn't mean to suggest you uncaring. Anyway, very informative post on explaining in real terms what the rise in sea level will do and what and who is hindering doing anything at all to help the situation.

I live right smack dab in the middle of coal country, they are all very touchy on the subject and blame Obama for the loss of jobs in the coal industry. At present they are all up in arms over pensions which had nothing to do with Obama but the company itself, but you can't try to telling them unless you want a fight and I like most of these people. So it is not just the companies and big wigs in government.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 May, 2014 10:38 am
@revelette2,
I am sure you boys in coal country are thrilled with the growing resistance to export coal under the theory coal is bad for global warming. Out here in washington state the activists are pitching a successful fight for the state to deny permits for the the building of a new coal handling system at a port, any port. Asia wants to buy but so far the firms cant find a way to get the ships loaded, and that is with the high quality Wyoming coal, not that crap you have out there.

But this is how bad things have gotten for coal.
Lash

Reply Wed 21 May, 2014 11:08 am
In related, but insane news, Pat Sajak (noted environmental scientist) says rabid racists are to blame for proliferating this global warming hooey. Looking forward to his charts amd graphs.
Setanta

Reply Wed 21 May, 2014 11:18 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
. . . Pat Sajak (noted environmental scientist) . . .

That was priceless, i choked on my coffee.
Setanta

Reply Wed 21 May, 2014 12:10 pm
It's more bizarre than one can imagine . . .

Pat Sajak on climate change at MSNBC
farmerman

Reply Wed 21 May, 2014 01:00 pm
@Setanta,
Sorta llike Groucho Marx speaking out against General Relativity
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 May, 2014 01:51 pm
Yeah, but i think Groucho was trying to be humorous. Anyway, you can't trust those military men.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 21 May, 2014 03:40 pm
@Setanta,
When I first heard it, I checked that it wasn't an Onion spoof...
Setanta

Reply Wed 21 May, 2014 05:09 pm
@Lash,
No kiddin' . . .one of those i wouldn't believe it if i hadn't seen it with my very own monitor . . .
0 Replies

Phil Dorrington

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 03:20 am
@oralloy,
May not be the 1st person with this idea or 2 - but as back-up options for an escalating / unresolved Global Warming crisis - do we know enough about Asteroid impacts ie. Links to Climate Change, Ice Ages etc. ? perhaps do some testing / extrapolation about the possibility of redirecting an Asteroid of the right (calculated) size to Earth to create a Dust Cloud to block some Sunlight.
What potential capacity is there to alleviate Sea Level rises by channelling / using pipework to redistribute rising Sea Water to inland Canyons / Valleys / Low-lying areas?

Phil Dorrington
revelette2

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 08:19 am
@hawkeye10,
I realize you wrote this in May, but saw this thread pop up...

Anyway, I am pretty sure the reason coal is "bad" right now is simply because there are more efficient ways to fuel energy so demand is lower.

Coal prices are down 40% since 2011:
oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 11:45 pm
@Phil Dorrington,
Phil Dorrington wrote:
do we know enough about Asteroid impacts ie. Links to Climate Change, Ice Ages etc. ? perhaps do some testing / extrapolation about the possibility of redirecting an Asteroid of the right (calculated) size to Earth to create a Dust Cloud to block some Sunlight.

Blocking sunlight by adding dust has been proposed several times before, but people generally want to add the dust in a less-hazardous manner.

Bombing the planet with asteroids is probably a bad way to add the dust.

Phil Dorrington wrote:
What potential capacity is there to alleviate Sea Level rises by channelling / using pipework to redistribute rising Sea Water to inland Canyons / Valleys / Low-lying areas?

I don't actually know, but I suspect not much potential.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 11:48 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Anyway, I am pretty sure the reason coal is "bad" right now is simply because there are more efficient ways to fuel energy so demand is lower.

Opposition to coal is based on all the carbon that goes into the atmosphere when coal is burned.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 11:51 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Opposition to coal is based on all the carbon that goes into the atmosphere when coal is burned

to be precise, it has to do with repeated failure to come up with an economical technical fix for this.
0 Replies