West Antarctic Ice Sheet Is Collapsing

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 05:40 am
@Setanta,
was it Richard Alley? Hes been an early Cassandrus about the coming rise in sea levels.

Does Toronto have a zoning restriction around your lake?
revelette2

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 10:41 am
So, are you all saying that it is too late to prevent anything else from happening and all we can do now is deal with all the ramifications of rising sea levels and what else in the way of climate change will happen? Forgive my ignorance.
roger

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 01:51 pm
@revelette2,
Well, assuming global warming really is anthropogenic, what would you have us do? I guess we could continue giving tax credits to those who buy electric and hybrid cars, and giving their makers bonus points for their CAFE ratings. Has it worked?

RABEL222

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 02:15 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Well, assuming global warming really is anthropogenic, what would you have us do? I guess we could continue giving tax credits to those who buy electric and hybrid cars, and giving their makers bonus points for their CAFE ratings. Has it worked?

Well Roger, considering the fact that we have been pumping crap into the atmosphere for 150 years would agree that giving things like hybrid cars, and wind generators, and solar generators tax credits for 50 or so years a chance would be ok. After all we havent made the polluters clean up after themselves which is the equivalent of tax breaks.
roger

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 03:21 pm
@RABEL222,
In other words, if something doesn't work, keep on doing it.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 03:33 pm
@farmerman,
This is Setanta, using The Girl's account to reply.

There is no such zoning that i know of. There are houses, the yards of which run right down to the sand on the beaches, and on other parts of the lakefront, their yards run tight down into the water. So i doubt that there is any such zoning restriction.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 03:45 pm
seems to me that if you know winter is coming then you prepare for winter,,,,,move cities, raise cities, build seawalls, install pumps and so on. The current "plans" are so unrealistic and so lacking in scientific foundation that they may as well be Voodoo.
roger

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 03:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
Let's see how China handles this. Some of the world's worse pollution and an enormous population densely concentrated along huge, low coast line. I bet they do exactly what they've been doing right along - nothing.
Setanta

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 03:54 pm
@roger,
The Chinese have, for several years, adopted an "after you" attitude. So long as the United States and Canada aren't doing anything, they don't feel that they are obliged to do anything. In particular, they are disgusted with Canada, which agreed to the Kyoto accords, but which has not met their obligations under that accord, as the Tories took over the government a decade ago.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 03:56 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Let's see how China handles this. Some of the world's worse pollution and an enormous population densely concentrated along huge, low coast line. I bet they do exactly what they've been doing right along - nothing.

China is the global leader in clean energy tech, and they are about to announce that they are going to do a big shift from Australasian coal to Russian gas.

And what about their High Speed Rail lines? We cant even start such projects, in our country all of those passengers would be on airplanes.
farmerman

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 04:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
here is the capital city of the leader nation in clean energy tech

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/04/02/world/BEIJING/BEIJING-articleLarge-v3.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 04:07 pm
This is addressed to FM. I've had a hard time finding a direct statement, but after looking at a copy of an old manuscript on the War of 1812 which i found online, it appears that the rapids between the Thousand Islands and the La Chine Rapids represent a vertical drop of more than 110 feet from the outlet of Lake Ontario. So sea level rise has to exceed 33 meters before it will affect Lake Ontario.
farmerman

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 04:31 pm
@Setanta,
I guess your safe.
Setanta

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 04:59 pm
@farmerman,
As long as i don't live too long.
farmerman

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 12:51 am
@Setanta,
your problem will be the next glacial advance. We will be overrun with Canadians who don't live in an ice free zone.
Setanta

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 12:57 am
@farmerman,
I wanna know what you're gonna do with all the Floridians and the other Gulf Coast state refugees. What about New York, Boston, etc.?
roger

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 01:17 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

What about New York, Boston, etc.?

Sadness
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 01:26 am
I can tell it's breaking your heart.
roger

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 02:06 am
@Setanta,
Like they say, "Life's a beach".
farmerman

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 05:26 am
@Setanta,
Quote:

I wanna know what you're gonna do with all the Floridians and the other Gulf Coast state refugees. What about New York, Boston, etc.?
Hey, back off. Im an idea guy, not an engineer.
0 Replies