Raise my sofa!

jespah

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 03:54 pm
Well, it's my folks' sofa, actually.

It's a nice sofa, and they like it, and it works in their decor and all of that. But it's kinda squishy and low, so it's tough to get out of it.

Hence I am looking for ideas about how to make it easier for people - seniors in particular - to get up and out of a seated position.There is no skirt so anything put under or whatever will have to be camouflaged in some sort of meaningful manner.

It's a sleeper sofa if that helps, they do not want to re-cover it and, no, it does not have plastic slipcovers on it. Wink

My parents and I thank you.

PS Ribbon goes to the best, most interesting or most amusing answer. Wink

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 04:04 pm
@jespah,
Hmmm. Is seating divided into cushions (as squares or rectangles, say) and the cushion interior is breaking down unevenly? Thinking, keep the cushion covers, cut a horizontal line down the middle at the back of the cushions, take out broken down material, stuff in new material (I think there are several kinds and it's not very expensive. Then stitch up the horizontal lines after the new material is in and quite evened out and supportive - thickly stuffed. Maybe there's a way to make that a zipper but I dunno, haven't sewn with them in years now.
roger

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 04:12 pm
@jespah,
Some people think bricks are pretty, you know.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 04:12 pm
@ossobuco,
my first thought was similar - new foam inside the cushions

it can make an amazing difference. I had new foam put into one of the hamburger's sofas when I adopted it and the thing is marvellously comfy (and is well over 30 years old - this was their NEW sofa after I left for university)

if it is cushions v a full seat, check for zippers which would make refilling simple (but still best if done by a pro)

if it's a full seat things get trickier but I'd still go with foam - but with a foam slab (wrapped in a twin fitted sheet that coordinates with the sofa) between the sleeping mechanism and the seat. In this example, I'd suggest an 8 inch deep foam slab. It squishes down, but still gives some oomph for getting up and off the sofa.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 04:14 pm
@ehBeth,
errr and modern sofa covers can be pretty gorgeous and cover what's going on underneath if you go with Roger's recommendation Smile

(and the front flap lifts to let you open the sofabed without taking the whole cover off)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 04:14 pm
@roger,
As an additional thought on bricks, if the height works out well, you might consider either shortening the front legs slightly, or adding another brick to the rear. I bet that would make the exit much easier.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 04:18 pm
@jespah,
They sell furniture risers. Most of them are pretty fugly though. Just google images for furniture risers.

Or, here is a picture of my living room, going up 2 mini steps into a library area.
Maybe build steps and carpet, and place the couch on the edge of the steps?

http://i.imgur.com/22bUwTI.jpg
roger

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 04:22 pm
@chai2,
That's probably the winning idea.
chai2

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 04:23 pm
@roger,
Why, because it's so impracticle?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 04:27 pm
@chai2,
you're right - they aren't pretty

but ... they are fairly inexpensive and some of them are really practical!

I like this set

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/101021-7-inch-power-bed-riser-set-of-4.html

http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/BedBathandBeyond/21912140151694p?$478$

there are two built-in USB chargers!
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 04:42 pm
http://www.furniturefix.com/images/product-shot.png

This might work. Smile
http://www.furniturefix.com/
Ragman

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 05:01 pm
@jespah,
I'm sorry to tell you this but this is a no-win situation as far as comfort for both you and your occasional guests. The sofa cannot be made useful for comfortable seating. I used to sell sofas. Plus I'm a person with a bad back (probably from bad sofas). Squishy low-slung sofas should be replaced. Chiropractors and acupuncturists ...sorry...but you can make a living off the OTHER people who settle for using these sofas.

Typically, the lack of support is partly cushioning but mostly it's the springs are worn out or wear never that supportive to begin with.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 05:02 pm
@mismi,
a high tech version of the plywood hamburgboy put under mattresses back in the day Smile
roger

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 05:05 pm
@chai2,
Some people just can't take a compliment.
chai2

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 05:06 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah, but he put 1000 pounds of sumo on it?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 05:07 pm
@roger,
I was just asking, I really didn't know.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 05:29 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
The sofa cannot be made useful for comfortable seating.

without knowing whether it's spring or foam/wood-based, it's hard to make that statement fairly.

my inherited sofa is one of the most comfortable ones around - 15 years after the foam was replaced. it's a sleeper, so no springs.
Ragman

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 05:38 pm
@ehBeth,
Based on my experience as a consumer and furniture sales rep, I will stand by my comment. Putting money into new foam still won't make it comfy and able to have people sit in it for more than a short while.

Have you ever resurrected an uncomfy sofa that way?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 05:59 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Have you ever resurrected an uncomfy sofa that way?

that was what my first post in this thread was about

as well as my post just before yours asking this question

Rolling Eyes
jespah

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 07:13 pm
It's comfortable; it's just hard to get up from it (at least, it's tough for my mother).

So putting something under the cushions (yes, there are 3 separate cushions) or even having a pro re-stuff them is likely to be the solution, maybe with the furniture risers as well.

This sofa isn't likely to be replaced. They are downsizing and moving into a smaller place and so there are a ton of other changes going on. I'm thinking buying a new sofa, at least at this stage of the game, is maybe one change too many.