under/below/lower than/short of

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 06:37 am
Their income is below 50k/year.
Their income is under 50k/year.
Their income is lower than 50k/year.
Their income is short of 50k/year.

Which is best in formal writing? Is there an even better one? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 740 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Doubtful
Ragman

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 06:55 am
@Doubtful,
I see no problem with using any one of those choices, either formally or informally.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 10:08 am
@Doubtful,
'Short of' is often used to imply failure to meet a target
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 01:41 pm
@Doubtful,
In formal writing you would avoid contractions and symbols. I do not know what currency you are thinking of, (let's assume euros) thus '50k/year' would be '50,000 euros per year' or '50,000 euros a year'. As I said before, use of 'below', 'under', 'lower than' or 'short of' emphasises the fact that the income is less than the figure mentioned, and might be more used when 50,000 per year is some kind of target or threshold: they cannot afford this mortgage, as their income is under 50,000 pounds per year. If you did not wish to imply that 50,000 is some kind of target, If the figure of 50,000 has no particular significance, e.g. it is just the nearest multiple of 10,000, you could say 'around', 'about', 'in the region of', 'nearly' or 'almost', 'just below', 'just under', 'just short of' etc.
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 11:15 pm
@Doubtful,
Quote:
In formal writing you would avoid contractions and symbols. I do not know what currency you are thinking of, (let's assume euros) thus '50k/year' would be '50,000 euros per year' or '50,000 euros a year'

My learned colleague is incorrect in averring that formal writing does not use contractions and symbols but he is correct in defining failure to meet a target as 'falling short'.

Family income below GBP50,000 p.a. is how I would describe it.
0 Replies