too many out of range blood levels

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 07:18 pm
Hi, i went to a primary doctor with a mild abdominal pain on my right side. She ordered a medical test to check my CBC, some pancreatic tests. Mean while i was asked to go for an ultrasound. i was told that my ultrasound was normal and blood results as per my doctor was okay but there are entries in the blood report next to amylase and pancreatic isoenzyme saying "sample slightly hemolyzed" and when i asked about this to the doctor she said nothing to worry about. But she ordered me for additional cholesterol test, metabolic panel test and the blood was drawn the same day. A week later i got a call from the nurse that i need to appear for additional blood test and when i asked what went wrong, she did not give me an answer. I went this evening to doctor office and gave my blood again and I got the report on my last report. here are my findings which are not in normal range

Glucose - 18 (range: 65 to 99) In the report it was noted next to glucose: "red blood cells were present in the sample upon receipt in the laboratory".

Potassium- 6.3 (range: 3.5 to 5.3)
carbon di oxide - 12 (range: 19 to 30) In the report it was noted next to carbon dioxide: "collection tube is incompletely filled. co2 result may be decreased."

ALT - 59 (range: 9 to 46). This reading is very concerning me.

Vitamin D - 14 (range: 3o to 100).

When i reportedly asked the nurse about these reading, she said "nothing to worry about. sometimes they dont pickup the blood until next day and this could cause the blood to clot". i have no idea if this is the case.

FYI: 10 days earlier when the doctor office asked me for additional blood test, i was worried that something is not right and i could not wait till next appointment so i got my blood tested through a nearby immunization and wellness service for $50 and their report came up normal except i had elevated triglycerides (180) but all other readings looked normal.
ALT - 48 (range: 7 to 52)

Can someone tell me what is going wrong on my blood results?

I AM 30 YEAR OLD MALE. 220 lbs.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 753 • Replies: 7
No top replies

JPB

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 07:38 pm
@thenxbox81,
It sounds like you may be a difficult person to draw blood from. Some people have skinny or "thready" veins and it's difficult to get a good blood draw. The fact that your first sample was hemolyzed and your second one wasn't full tells me that you're probably what we'd refer to as a "difficult venipuncture".

That said, the only thing that isn't explained by the sample integrity is the elevated ALT. It's elevated, but not excessively so. Do you take Tylenol, run long distances, or drink alcohol? Any of those things could cause a temporary spike in your ALT. Word of advice - if you do drink alcohol do not take Tylenol for a hangover. Both can zap your liver and the combination can cause liver toxicity.

Your vitamin D is low but not unusual for this time of year, particularly if you live in a northern climate and don't get outside much during the cold, dark winter months. Did your dr recommend a vitamin D supplement?

Your followup ALT is in the normal range, but still slightly elevated. Definitely within the expected range for a distance runner or someone who drinks alcohol or takes Tylenol.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 07:41 pm
@thenxbox81,
Quote:
Can someone tell me what is going wrong on my blood results?

Yes, your doctor can and will tell you. Ethically if anyone who has medical expertise would be irresponsible to comment on this. See your physician and get the real answer not an inexpert misguided guess.
JPB

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 07:43 pm
@Ragman,
He asked and was told not to worry his pretty little head. I told him the same thing with more details.
Ragman

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 07:46 pm
@JPB,
And hopefully when he sees the doctor again, he'll get the best answer.

The blood tests (irregularities) that he last took at the primary care doctor's need to be explained by his physician. Who knows whether or not the test was compromised or inaccurate for some reason.
thenxbox81

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 07:53 pm
@Ragman,
Yes i am going to talk doctor any way.. It is the wait that kills me. I live in Memphis and it Looks like they draw the blood and send it to quest diagnostics where the blood is tested in Atlanta or California. It takes more than a week to get the results back.
JPB

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 07:55 pm
@Ragman,
He does. It's in the report. That's why they wanted to repeat them. He didn't like the "nothing to worry about" response, panicked and had them repeated elsewhere. Everything came back normal. Now he doesn't know who to believe. Happens all the time. He can believe all of them. The tests needed to be repeated, they were repeated, and now he can go back to his primary, go back to the clinic, or go somewhere or nowhere else. There is no conflict in the results he got.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 08:00 pm
@thenxbox81,
Good. Glad you're going to follow up. Try not to worry in the meantime. I know it's hard to see test results that are outside the normal range, but there are oftentimes non-medical reasons for the results. Sample integrity is a big reason and your earlier reports clearly showed sample integrity issues. Being told that it's nothing to worry about isn't easy for someone who is a worrier. I get that.
0 Replies