Whence Turkey?

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 05:00 pm
http://www.thewire.com/global/2014/03/youtube-is-the-latest-site-to-be-banned-in-turkey/359755/

I'm not completely out of the loop on Turkey, but relatively speaking, pretty much am ignorant, a news follower and book reader. Have read about Erdogan, and increasingly more the articles are con Erdogan, con articles that I just naturally agree with re all the building and teardown razzmatazz and the mosque plan for the historic square and a proposed bridge, the bridge.

But now there are these internet cutouts in place. (I read there was something about Turkey dealing with Syria so Twitter was shut down, and now, youtube). What's next?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,447 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 09:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Using this for links -

http://www.dawn.com/news/1097256/turkeys-election-may-have-dealt-a-blow-to-democracy
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 11:10 am
@ossobuco,
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/03/turkey-lifts-twitter-ban-court-ruling
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 11:46 am
@ossobuco,
Where to start, Erdogan is very conservative and has a strong religious following. There have been countless demonstrations against him by the more progressive urban population, but if last week's local elections are anything to go by he'll be returned next year.

Yes, he is opposed to the Syrian regime, but like many conservatives is quite illiberal, as his banning of Twitter and Youtube testify. He's also quite paranoid which is probably quite understandable when you bear in mind the Turkish General's history of coups to protect Turkey's secular identity.

There's also Turkey's long struggle with trying to gain membership of the EU. In recent years Turkey has bent over backwards trying to accommodate EU demands, but Erdogan seems to have given up trying. Despite what the EU says there's an inbuilt hostility to allowing such a predominantly Moslem country's citizens the right to free movement across Europe. Some of that sentiment may be fuelled by racism, especially in the East European counties with memories of the Ottoman Empire. When I was in Crete the tour guides routinely referred to the Turks as barbarians.

From what I understand, his banning of Twitter and Youtube has very little to do with Syria, and is more about stopping the Turkish opposition making claims about corruption in Erdogan's inner circle.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 12:23 pm
@izzythepush,
That is probably the most of it, but the blurb I read in passing mentioned some no no to tell information re Turkey and Syria being the immediate twitter shut off trigger. No link.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 01:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Having an outside enemy is always a good excuse to tighten up on domestic freedoms. Think of the ongoing wars between Eurasia and East Asia in 1984.
0 Replies