Some good news, in my opinion: Turkey's election results

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 05:21 pm
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33042284

clip -
The BBC's Mark Lowen in Istanbul
The AKP has polled worse than it ever feared and lost its majority. President Erdogan will be unable to change the constitution and extend his powers.
It's a stark contrast with the HDP, which gambled to run as a single party for the first time, hoping to cross the 10% threshold. It paid off, gaining a significant voice for the Kurdish minority on the national stage.
It succeeded by appealing beyond the Kurds, drawing in leftists and staunch Erdogan opponents with its message of equality, gay rights and environmental concerns.
This could be the start of a new political era here; a major setback for a president who has polarised this nation.
In a volatile Middle East, Turkey matters greatly - and so the path it takes, the nature of its democracy and the leaders it produces, all have implications far beyond its borders.
end/clip

Opinions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,348 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 06:26 pm
@ossobuco,
more -

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/06/turkish-election/395138/?google_editors_picks=true
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 07:04 pm
@ossobuco,
following by way of the CBC (and FB friends who moved here from Turkey)
ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 07:09 pm
@ehBeth,
I worry about Erdogan getting military into it, but I don't know enough as an outsider/reader.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2015 10:39 am
@ossobuco,
I think it's good, Erdogan has enjoyed too much power for too long now and he's getting a bit full of himself.

I don't know if the military will be that much of a problem, traditionally they've been supporters of secularism and Erdogan ain't secular.
0 Replies