About humans

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 04:28 am
Are humans really bad? Like everyone has evil within them. The difference is only whether they show it or not. What do you guys think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 2,853 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 04:51 am
Terms such as good and bad, or good and evil, are subjective. Nevertheless, it would be absurd to say that all humans are good, or that they are all bad, or that they are all evil.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 05:41 am
It's probably most useful to think of people as having a mixture of good and evil impulses.
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 06:02 am
@murette ,
Bad with respect to? Good with respect to? What do bad or good refer to? Under what criteria are we scrutinizing humans?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 06:21 am
@murette ,
murette wrote:
Are humans really bad?
WELCOME to the forum, Murette!

With all respect, your question cannot logically be answered
until u provide a criterion defining how "bad" can be identified and judged;
e.g., if your chosen criterion is tallness, then being short is bad.
If your chosen criterion is intelligence, then being stupid is bad.
If your chosen criterion is accuracy, then being liberal is bad.
If your chosen criterion is speed, then being slow is bad.
If your chosen criterion is loudness, then being quiet is bad.
If your chosen criterion is liberty, then being authoritarian is bad.

When u ask whether something is good or bad,
we need u to declare by which criteria goodness shud be judged.

May u live in BEAUTY and enjoy the forum for many decades!

David
0 Replies

rosemerry778

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 09:14 am
@murette ,
Neither all humans are good nor bad. Every human has good and evil inside him. Some select good and other evil. These are two ways of living. Choice is yours.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 11:13 am
Humans aren't only bad, they're the worst! In terms of evil, they're the evilest! In regard to showing it, if you come across a human, never, ever turn your back on one even if it were to smile at you!
JLNobody

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 11:49 pm
@InfraBlue,
An interesting thing about humans, we invented both evil and the smile.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 01:12 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
An interesting thing about humans, we invented both evil and the smile.
WHAT evidence have u
that we invented evil ?
JLNobody

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 10:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Simply because it is an IDEA, and we are the inventors of our languages and the ideas they convey. Remember, there are no moral phenomena, only moral interpretations of phenomena--and those interpretations are IDEATIONAL events.
G H

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 12:31 am
@murette ,
murette wrote:
Are humans really bad? Like everyone has evil within them. The difference is only whether they show it or not. What do you guys think?

Amidst a mixture of other personal characteristics, iniquity of varying standards may abound [as some of the acts] of humans in the meaningful cosmos manifested by the same's perceptions and understandings. But not outside of that anthropic awareness system, in either the consciousness of other creatures or the eternal oblivion of death (the nothingness / usual lack of exhibited and reasoned evidence for itself which a completely mind-independent universe would be wallowing in).

Some non-human animals surely have a concept equivalent to "bad" [disliked]. Perhaps even a vocal / behavioral signal for attaching it adjective-like to an object or situation; for expressing "this / that bad" to a group. But when wild and untaught, they wouldn't know what evil or its mutable contexts were even if they could dislocate their jaws and swallow it like a snake.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 02:21 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
Simply because it is an IDEA, and we are the inventors of our languages and the ideas they convey. Remember, there are no moral phenomena, only moral interpretations of phenomena--and those interpretations are IDEATIONAL events.
Thank u for that information.
For what reason did u adopt the belief
that an idea of evil
did not ante-date the advent of Man ?????

Have u proof of that????
or even any evidence thereof ??????
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 02:27 am
@murette ,
Quote:
About humans
Shud that be:
About humen ?????
0 Replies

murette

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 03:27 am
@Ding an Sich,
Oh sorry about the confusion. English isnt my 1st language. I meant to say “good” and “evil”. Something along the lines of not caring about others as long as you save yourself.
0 Replies

murette

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 03:56 am
@murette ,
Oh sorry about the confusion. English isnt my 1st language. I meant to say “good” and “evil”. Something along the lines of not caring about others as long as you save yourself.

For example, if a person is threatened, the usual reaction is to do anything to save himself. Including selling others out. If safety and security is in danger of compromise, no one in their right mind would willingly give anything up to others. Doesn't this mean, humans are selfish and only think of themselves.

Is my question is still confusing or I just made it more confusing? I can try and elaborate some more.

About the "humen", I dont really know. Sorry.
Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 12:01 pm
@murette ,
It only means that humans are selfish and only think of themselves if you make a certain set of unwarranted assumptions. Basically, you've taken a particular (and peculiar) scenario, and you suggest that it represents all of human behavior. Leaving aside how foolish that is, you ignore all the many examples of people acting for others without thought of personal gain--charities, volunteers who line to fill and throw sandbags in a flood, people who donate blood without being paid for it.

If you cast a gloomy eye at humanity, i'm sure you can convince yourself of any number of reasons to condemn all seven billion of us.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 09:04 pm
Being honourable and magnanimous is just as selfish...perhaps even more.
I guess the point was focusing on consequences and not so much on selfishness alone...
Razzleg

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 10:53 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I guess the point was focusing on consequences and not so much on selfishness alone...

"Selfish" probably isn't quite the appropriate term to use when describing honorable conduct, magnanimity, politeness, "manners", etc. i think that all of the latter behaviors are a product of self-respect, and appreciating oneself enough to respect others as selves; on the other hand, i think the term "selfish" best describes actions that a person undertakes to exploit others, undermine others' autonomy, and disrupt the personal sovereignty of others in order to subvert self-doubt.

You're not entirely wrong, though, both self-respect and selfishness are not "consequence"-motivated. Perhaps both personal phenomena respond to the same mental/emotional need: (and yet) one is informed by awareness and the other dis-informed by ignorance of -- the meaning and the consequence of intent.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 11:12 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
I try to remember to be as selfish as possible.
I ofen recommend it.

Every American shud be actively selfish;
that is not to say stingy. That is not much fun.

David
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 12:39 am
@OmSigDAVID,
And just how sophisticated is your selfishness ? Are you selfish enough to be magnanimous and honourable ?
Being selfish per se, a rather common trait, doesn't explain much about who you are.