About humans

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 12:44 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I am a man of honor.
I am magnanimous according to my mood,
as affected by caprice. Where r u from ?

David

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 12:49 am
While we are at it, in the ladder of selfishness, abnegation is the worst kind.
...it comes to mind that Kierkgaard went about this matter with his 3 stages of existence, but I guess he never thought about them as progressive forms of selfishness...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 12:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't know, I am still looking.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 02:25 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
I don't know, I am still looking.
To ascertain your place of ORIGIN ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 02:30 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
While we are at it, in the ladder of selfishness,
abnegation is the worst kind.
"Worst" according to WHAT criterion ?

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
...it comes to mind that Kierkgaard went about this matter with his 3 stages of existence,
but I guess he never thought about them as progressive forms of selfishness...
Shud he have ?
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:54 pm
@murette ,
murette wrote:

Are humans really bad? Like everyone has evil within them. The difference is only whether they show it or not. What do you guys think?

I think you really have to analyze what it even means to be a bad person. For example, I consider people who do nothing to benefit others, bad people. They aren't helping anyone except themselves. I consider that being a bad person. But they aren't causing harm to anyone by only doing things for themselves. So why would I consider them bad? It has to do with how I view bad and good.

I don't believe people are inherently good or bad. I definitely don't believe that you were born evil and need to be redeemed like some religions might attempt to impose.

JLNobody

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 07:30 pm
@Krumple,
I agree: one does not have to cause harm to be "bad", it is enough just to lack compassion. I feel, for what it's worth, that the ethical life is furthered not simply by compliance with norms; the ethical life is the life of compassion for others, by seeing them as subjects like you and not mere objects.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 04:04 pm
@murette ,
murette wrote:

Are humans really bad? Like everyone has evil within them. The difference is only whether they show it or not. What do you guys think?

I personally don't see anyone as evil.

The way I look at it is. We have this underline motivation to obtain happiness or contentment. The problem happens when we select methods to obtain happiness or contentment that directly conflict with others. This can be mild or violent but the results are usually negative. The over all problem is we don't know the best methods of how to obtain lasting contentment or happiness. So we struggle and roam through life haphazardly seeking it. Sometimes we cause problems for ourselves and others.

So it isn't the person who is evil. It is their method to obtain happiness that is evil.

If everyone were content, fully content, or happy, they wouldn't cause problems of others.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 06:53 pm
@Krumple,
Yes, I too do not SEE evil (or virtue); I THINK evil (and virtue). As I said above: "[T]here are no moral phenomena, only moral interpretations of phenomena."
0 Replies

thus

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2014 02:11 pm
@murette ,
evil is a judgement
judgement is a mental formation based on things as how they appear to be instead of how they really are.
0 Replies

thus

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2014 02:13 pm
@Setanta,
you seem to ave a sound mind talk to me..
0 Replies