explain the meaning of English sentence,plz

Ok-sana

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 03:33 pm
Have you ever had your fortune told? I can't see the sense of the sentence,help plz
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 888 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 04:16 pm
@Ok-sana,
"Fortune-telling is the practice of predicting information about a person's life. "

From Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_teller
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 04:18 pm
@Ok-sana,
In this usage, fortune means future - not luck or wealth. The question asks whether you have visited a fortune teller for a future prediction. Some fortune tellers use cards; others 'read' palms or crystal balls, or some other means.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 04:43 pm
@Ok-sana,
A fortune teller is someone who tells your fortune (predicts your future). if you have used one, you have had your fortune told.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 03:19 am
Cut this out, and you'll be able to tell your own fortune. It's every bit as accurate as all the rest and a lot cheaper. Harry Houdini spent a lot of his life exposing mediums, fortune tellers etc. as charlatans. Maybe there are some genuine ones out there but Houdini never found any.
http://thegraphicsfairy.com/wp-content/uploads/blogger/-KIkqOX4HEw4/TbBpeOfg-sI/AAAAAAAAL5g/-Np0mID9Puk/s1600/fortuneteller%2Bclip%2Bart%2Bimage--graphicsfairy010.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 03:26 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

A fortune teller is someone who tells your fortune (predicts your future). if you have used one, you have had your fortune told.

You will also have had your pocket picked.
0 Replies

Ok-sana

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 01:13 pm
@Ok-sana,
Thanks! I see! I "misinterpreted" fortune first as property that why I did not get it)
0 Replies