Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 11:52 am
why bother with science and physics when the more we learn and understand the less significant or "smaller" we become!

why bother with religion when we realize we are but a biological fluke of nature only to exist for a tiny fraction of time in relation to what is that we now understand.

why is it that, as a race of creatures on this planet, are we "knowingly" being blindly guided down a path of certain destruction as a result of corruption and greed focused on the "here and now" mentalities of the very few?

why are we this way, will we learn time? only at the brink do people find the will to change. Only at the precipice do we evolve. question is, would it not be to late by then?

fresco

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 12:16 pm
@RushPoint,
Because unlike other species we are cognate animals with a capacity (albeit limited) to anticipate and attempt to control "our future". Such a capacity is inextricable from the domain of human language in which questions such as "why" operate.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 12:21 pm
@RushPoint,
Who bothers? You?

I'm not the least bothered..

RushPoint wrote:
(Why)are we "knowingly" being blindly guided down a path of certain destruction

Says who? How do you know that?

People have been saying so for thousands of years (early Greeks said that already) and nothing proved it to be true.

and wrote:
only at the brink do people find the will to change.

How can you say so? Do you have evidence of it?

People do change as a result of many thoughts/causes/events.

Saying that they were at the brink is meaningless..
dalehileman

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 12:42 pm
@RushPoint,
Quote:
why bother with science and physics when the…... "smaller" we become!
Because some of us get a Rush from the experience

Couldn't resist

Quote:
why bother with religion…...only to exist for a tiny fraction of time……..
Some of us, not you and me to be sure, Rush, gain from it a sense of awe or reassurance. Why not after all, if it makes one feel good

Quote:
why…... are we "knowingly" being blindly guided…...corruption and greed focused on the "here and now" mentalities…...why are we this way…..
Because we don't have much of a choice

Quote:
, will we learn time?
I presume Rush you meant "in time" and I presume you mean before we wipe ourselves out by overpopulation or nuclear means. Do't know about you but my own life is apparently extraordinary

….so far

Quote:
only at the brink…..do we evolve. question is, would it not be to late by then?
Of course. But in the meantime why can't we have a good time
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 02:52 pm
@RushPoint,
RushPoint wrote:

why bother with science and physics when the more we learn and understand the less significant or "smaller" we become!

I suppose the answer would differ from person to person, but in my own case, it's because I want the actual right answer to questions.

RushPoint wrote:
why bother with religion when we realize we are but a biological fluke of nature only to exist for a tiny fraction of time in relation to what is that we now understand.

More to the point, there's not a shred of evidence for the imaginary friend, and, as I said, I want the actual right answer to questions.

RushPoint wrote:
why is it that, as a race of creatures on this planet, are we "knowingly" being blindly guided down a path of certain destruction as a result of corruption and greed focused on the "here and now" mentalities of the very few?

Because I cannot figure out how to get rid of the people who cut the space program and refuse to plan seriously for defense against a meteor impact. The people who are elected are mainly people who can convince you that they're nice, but usually just want to be elected and re-elected. They are rarely people who are in the habit of long term thinking.

RushPoint wrote:
why are we this way, will we learn time? only at the brink do people find the will to change. Only at the precipice do we evolve. question is, would it not be to late by then?

There may come a day when we have reason to be sorry that we ignored the colonization of space and the development of an anti-meteor strategy, and, yes, when the day comes, it will probably be too late.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 03:04 pm
Brandon wrote:
yes, when the day comes, it will probably be too late.

Why people keep playing Cassandra is beyond me.

Don't take the worst for granted..
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 03:17 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

Brandon wrote:
yes, when the day comes, it will probably be too late.

Why people keep playing Cassandra is beyond me.

Don't take the worst for granted..

I'm just saying that if, for example, we notice a large meteor on a collision path with the Earth, it will probably be a little late to start developing the technology to stop it.
timur

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 03:21 pm
@Brandon9000,
But we are working with the technology we have now.

We don't have the technology to prevent a meteor to crash on earth.
RushPoint

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 06:11 pm
@timur,
I’d like to share a revelation that I’ve had, It came to me when I tried to classify our species. I realized that we're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but we humans do not. we move to an area, and we multiply, and destroy, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way we can survive is to spread to another area and repeat this cycle. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern: a virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. we are a plague
farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 06:18 pm
@RushPoint,
a big brained mammal that can control and destroy its environment is nonetheless a mammal. The first mammals laid eggs and were splay footed like reptiles. Do we refuse them clade membership too?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 06:25 pm
@RushPoint,
You're being naïve. Mammals (and other species) routinely destroy their environments. If an environmental niche or area is not in balance, then they can not only destroy their immediate environment, they can have profound changes on the ecosystem, too. Also, when an ecosystem regains its natural balance, that can change things, too. You might find this video interesting, "How wolves can alter the course of rivers." (Don't worry, it's under five minutes.)

Calamity Dal

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 06:56 pm
@RushPoint,
you watched the Matrix too? see Number 1 was a great concept, but Id say 2 and 3 were entirely unnecessary wouldn't you agree?
RushPoint

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 07:49 pm
@Setanta,
I respect your opinion and understand completely what your saying, only problem is that "the wolf" did not destroy over 15% of the planet in a mere 100 years, we humans did! from Fukushima and other nuclear disasters to carbon emissions and ocean acidification of today, we need to be worried! did you know that shell fish farmers on the west coast can no longer grow their product in open ocean water? they have had to resort to a controlled environment or indoor cultivation as a result of changing ocean chemistry. Carbon emissions have if anything increased the rate of global warming, we are now melting permafrost in Siberia that is over 200 thousand years old, so what do we do? in newly accessible artic ocean water we prospect for more of the very substance responsible for the problem in the first place! in the late 1800's atmosphere Co2 levels were roughly at about 200/220 ppm, now we are at 400 ppm, in 100 years industrialised nations of the world are responsible for doubling C02 levels, and now all of Asia and the middle east from China to Pakistan want what we have, they all want industry and they all want cars to get to these new jobs, they dwarf the industrialised nations responsible for current environmental conditions 10 to 1. and they are doing this in a fraction of the time it took us! Our environment is changing at an alarming rate, weather is but one indication of this change, we have been breaking records every year for the past 10 to 15 years, did you know that last year we seen the worst hurricane ever recorded, and if that's not enough we also had the largest or most destructive tornado ever recorded in the same year! frequency and severity of weather phenomena are defiantly on the rise, our biosphere is failing and it doesn't take a physicist or environmental scientist to point these things out! Monarch butterflies will likely be on the endangered species list next year! Bee populations globally have decreased by an alarming 40%, ocean acidification is destroying crustacean or arthropods as of the past 3 years, and not just in a few sporadic regions but globally! biologists just last year have been trying to warn the world that we have a serious problem, or maybe they are just worried about job security and are trying to insure their study grants! I have only named a few of the problems we face in todays day in age, there are many more things that point to what is happening, don't get me wrong, I'm not an alarmist or a doomsdayer, I'm just an observer with a curiosity of what others might think.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 07:51 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

But we are working with the technology we have now.

We don't have the technology to prevent a meteor to crash on earth.

My point was that people with long term thinking would start trying to develop something that works now, rather than wait until it's too late.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 07:54 pm
@RushPoint,
RushPoint wrote:

I’d like to share a revelation that I’ve had, It came to me when I tried to classify our species. I realized that we're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but we humans do not. we move to an area, and we multiply, and destroy, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way we can survive is to spread to another area and repeat this cycle. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern: a virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. we are a plague

Up until this post, I've had a lot of respect for everything you've posted. This is very melodramatic. The only reason the other animals don't consume resources as we do is that they aren't smart enough to develop the technology. While we are a little lacking in the forethought and wisdom department, it's probably normal for a species in its infancy. We are not a plague. We just have to pass some laws and develop some technology.
RushPoint

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 08:05 pm
@Calamity Dal,
no, the original quote was not from the movie! but it is a good one! it was used in the matrix, the day the earth stood still, and I seem to remember Morgan Freeman quoting it in yet another movie but I don't remember the name. I first read some variation of this quote many years ago in high school.
0 Replies

RushPoint

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 08:15 pm
@Brandon9000,
I'm sorry if you find my comment to be melodramatic, I did this intentionally in attempt to evoke responses such as yours! of course I don't actually believe we are a "virus", I was simply just pointing out the correlations between human beings and a virus, albeit in a sort of unrealistic way but never the less, it worked! your comment as to the difference between the uniqueness of human beings and the rest of nature, or those laws and changes in technology you referred to are but the point of this discussion, will we figure it out in time?

thnx for your response!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 08:33 pm
@RushPoint,
That humans are destructive on a higher order of magnitude that other animals doesn't alter that we are animals, too, and it is only the degree of our success which separates us from other animals.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 08:36 pm
By the say, the first great extinction event (as far as we know, and it likely is the one) arose because of bacteria which produced oxygen. This was about two and half billion years ago, and it wiped out the then dominant life forms. Some of them, though, do survive to this day. That we might create conditions which wipe us out is just another bump on the long road of the history of life on this planet. We may not contemplate it with equanimity, but "nature" doesn't care. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 02:42 am
@RushPoint,
Your "revelation" about the viral nature of humanity and our inability to control it may indeed be valid. But such validity is only meaningful to humans with their psychological constructs of "time" and "control". So logically the term "virus" itself with all its negative connotations is predicated in the term "intelligence" with its connotations of control abilities.
Perhaps you have read the celebrated fable "Jonathan Livingstone Seagull" which speculates on a successful attempt to transcend the apparent futility of existence. As an atheist, I found this an interesting rejoinder to the "logic" which you evoke which underpins the futility position.
0 Replies