Random loss of limb function

Ralston

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 06:11 am
Hello (SOS),
I am a husband to an amazing wife who has never had a drink of alcohol or smoked (non DM). She has always eaten healthy and kept fit with walking and netball. Height 5’3” and weighs a slender 48kg. Since the 24th NOVEMBER 2013, the wonderful mother of our three children began experiencing some strange symptoms.
Making some food in the kitchen she experienced stiffening in her arms. Then she felt like she was going to fall over, like her legs became wobbly and would give way. She called out to me and I laid her on the floor. Her body lost function (not sensation) from her neck down. Sometimes her body feels really weak and not stiff, and laying down is the only way to bring back function of her muscles (after 10-20 minutes). These come with the obvious fear that she may fall over.
She spent 7 days in hospital overseen by a neurologist. At each episode, testing of BP, HR, O2 and BGL’s was performed; they determined all results to be within normal limits. No notable abnormalities observed with MRI of her spine. EEG revealed she breathed out to much CO2 (????). A physio told her to use a paper bag to hyperventilate when she feels it coming which seems to reduce the severity of the episode about 80% of the time.
Cognitive function seems normal (apart from the obvious anxiety of the event) throughout an episode, though shaking (tremor like) of her limbs can be observed following. She also feels light headed when trying to sit up after. This all depletes energy from her body and she is extremely exhausted for the rest of the day. GP has prescribed strong antidepressants for her anxiety, though apart from these episodes she is functioning and feeling fine. We feel the anxiety is slowly growing due to the continuing of the episodes (approximately 2 episodes every 3-4 days) but so far has not started the meds. She is seeing a counselor who is helping with the anxiety, and says she appears to be well balanced.
In the last three or so months we have observed these experiences that seem to exacerbate the issue: Sometimes carrying our 2yr old on her hip creates the symptoms to come on. Chiropractor visits have not reduced symptoms and now carrying child less. Stress of children fighting and screaming in the home can trigger an episode. If she has a late night the symptoms are worse the next day. If she doesn’t eat a small healthy meal every two hours the symptoms are more likely to occur. She needs to have a nap through the day to manage to pick up kids from school and cook dinner at night and needs to lay down after doing grocery shopping. Some days it is the stressful worries on my mind that brings on an episode and other days there is a strange sensation at her hips prior to her legs giving way. Stronger symptoms happen around the time of menstruation. And she gets back pain and abdominal pains, with occasional headaches which is not normal for her.
She has an appt with a naturopath this week. Following this I am not sure where to turn. Has anyone heard of a similar case and hopefully treatment? Thanks for reading about our struggle.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 695 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 09:11 am
@Ralston,
We're not doctors and we really can't help you beyond what you've already done. However, I'd suggest asking the neurologist about why there was no MRI or cat scan done of the brain.
JPB

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 09:17 am
@Ralston,
Quote:
If she doesn’t eat a small healthy meal every two hours the symptoms are more likely to occur.

As I read through your post I wondered if hypoglycemia had been ruled out. Many of her symptoms can be produced by anxiety, and it sounds as though her doctors are treating her for an anxiety/panic disorder, but they may also be caused by hypoglycemia. Spasming of the extremities with or without blackouts was exactly what I experienced before I was diagnosed as hypoglycemic. I'm sure she was probably evaluated for diabetes as part of her hospitalization, but you might ask her dr if they did an evaluation for hypoglycemia.

Good luck to you both!
Ralston

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 04:23 am
@JPB,
Over a 7 day period in hospital she was advised to contact nurses every time she felt it coming. At each occasion her BGL's were tested with no remarkable abnormalities noted.
I recently took her on a pacific island holiday to see if this helped relax her mind or anxiety. She suffered 2 episodes over the 10 days. The episodes have reduced slightly since coming home though she has noticed her respiratory rate increase when she gets concerned about something and is able to calm herself down which seems to be reducing the severity of the episode. This means she is no longer using the paper bag to hyperventilate which I think is a great improvement.

Thanks for your concern and reply
0 Replies

Ralston

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 04:25 am
@jespah,
When they took her for the spinal scan I had the thought to ask why they were not doing a brain scan. I guess this is a lesson on always speaking up.
Thank you
jespah

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 07:20 am
@Ralston,
Hang in there - me, I get vasovagal syncope which is a fancy way of saying fainting symptoms but they aren't really sure why. For me, I've found keeping my blood sugar up and my fluids topped off (I drink a lot of water, with predictable results) helps a great deal, but your mileage will obviously vary. It can be scary. I've had an ambulance ride and they aren't fun (this was I think a good 4 years ago).
0 Replies