Destroy My Belief System, Please!

JLNobody

Wed 9 Apr, 2014 11:41 am
@Olivier5,
Are you asking if Jesus died of an excess of love/compassion? If so, if was a great death?
Olivier5

Wed 9 Apr, 2014 11:52 am
@JLNobody,
Yes, it was a great death.

I note you did not respond to my comment upthread that the subject is useful to place all of one person's experience under one "roof", in one "set".
JLNobody

Wed 9 Apr, 2014 01:37 pm
@Olivier5,
Yes, the illusion of an ego-center (of an internal unity) depends to a large extent on the capacity to put together a story-of-self based on memory. This suggests that the "subject" is the result rather than the cause of this process of creating a single roof/set.
Olivier5

Wed 9 Apr, 2014 02:59 pm
@JLNobody,
Depends what you call the "subject" I guess. But I agree that we construct ourselves. The point I am trying to make though, is that such a self is essential to understanding the value of our mind for survival. A disparate, discontinued series of experiences that are not comparable or cannot be aggregated may be - I imagine - how simpler animals see the world. We can do better than than because we have a mind, i.e. a "space" where a large number of experiences and thoughts are put together and can be compared/aggregated. That "center" or "ego" or "consciousness" or however you call it is not an illusion, it is a central feature of what we humans are.

I never understood the need to negate or destroy the self, at least philosophically. I agree that morally speaking, being able to "tame one's self" is useful to not become obsessed by status or money. But a self is useful, if well trained.
JLNobody

Wed 9 Apr, 2014 08:03 pm
@Olivier5,
No need to "negate" or "destroy" the "self", only to realize its illusory nature. The illusion of self is useful, and that's why it exists almost universally. But I would rather what I really am, one with the World that some puny, isolated, and essentially alienated ego within and surrounded by the World.
JLNobody

Wed 9 Apr, 2014 10:21 pm
@JLNobody,
Corrections: "But I would rather BE what I really am, one with the World, RATHER THAN some puny...."
Frank Apisa

Thu 10 Apr, 2014 05:27 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

No need to "negate" or "destroy" the "self", only to realize its illusory nature. The illusion of self is useful, and that's why it exists almost universally. But I would rather what I really am, one with the World that some puny, isolated, and essentially alienated ego within and surrounded by the World.

Interesting blind guess about REALITY, JL.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 10 Apr, 2014 05:27 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Corrections: "But I would rather BE what I really am, one with the World, RATHER THAN some puny...."

Interesting blind guess...all the way around.
JLNobody

Thu 10 Apr, 2014 09:11 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks Frank.
Olivier5

Thu 10 Apr, 2014 10:29 am
@JLNobody,
Just because being a "self" carries painful implications in terms of our remoteness/alienation from the world, doesn't mean we are not selves. I hope that you don't run away from each and every idea that you find painful or unappealing. Who said philosophy was for the faint-hearted?
JLNobody

Thu 10 Apr, 2014 12:03 pm
@Olivier5,
Good argument, Olivier. But Buddhism does not deny the egoself because it is a reality that causes suffering, Buddhism (and other mystically oriented practices) identifies the egoself as a condition of deep existential suffering, and provides ways to function with the illusory egoself (because of its eufunctional aspects) while prophylactically identifying its essentially painless ontological status. In other words Buddhism denies the egoself because it is an unreality that causes unnecessary suffering.
Setanta

Thu 10 Apr, 2014 12:32 pm
Oh yeah . . . spread that dogma, beat that drum!
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 10 Apr, 2014 01:39 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Buddhism denies the egoself because it is an unreality that causes unnecessary suffering.

Looks like throwing the baby with the bathwater to me... In jest: if your head hurts, take an aspirin rather than chopping your head off. But maybe you could provide a few specific examples of the types of "unnecessary suffering" Buddhism tries to get rid of, and how it does so?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 10 Apr, 2014 01:44 pm
@JLNobody,

JLNobody wrote:

Thanks Frank.

You are most welcome.

You are a guy who blind guesses with the best of 'em! Wink

JLNobody

Thu 10 Apr, 2014 05:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
With the BEST of them? Thanks again.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Sun 13 Apr, 2014 07:28 am
@Frank Apisa,
JLN has the merit of being truthful polite n constructive, so from all the hot pot guessing artists around the forum I like him best.
Frank Apisa

Sun 13 Apr, 2014 11:56 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

JLN has the merit of being truthful polite n constructive, so from all the hot pot guessing artists around the forum I like him best.

I like him myself, Fil.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Tue 15 Apr, 2014 01:12 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Razzleg, I agree with Krumple that while there may be choices there are no choosers. Agency is a function of grammar.

Oh, JLN, please provide an example of "choices" without "choosers"...Please disprove agency via meaningful agrammatical practices...Please describe the circumstance that allows "you" to "agree" with Krumple v. an alternative, sans agency...

Your understanding of both grammar, usage, and context is weak...
JLNobody

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 10:01 am
@Razzleg,
My choice to answer your last challenge is a foolish one, but I see no chooser behind it, only a grammatical convention, the convention that suggests an agent behind rain; when rain falls we see and think that "it rains". Nietzsche rightly called grammar the metaphysics of the masses.
0 Replies

Krumple

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 10:45 am
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:
Oh, JLN, please provide an example of "choices" without "choosers"...Please disprove agency via meaningful agrammatical practices...Please describe the circumstance that allows "you" to "agree" with Krumple v. an alternative, sans agency...

Your understanding of both grammar, usage, and context is weak...

There are several ways to examine it. But if it never goes examined it is easy to be mistaken for agency. I'll attempt to show you what I mean using my re-occurring thought experiment.

Imagine you are born without any of your senses working. You are blind, deaf, can't taste or smell and your sense of touch all don't work. Your body is kept alive but you have absolutely no way of experiencing anything. The concept of self would never arise because the concept relies on the concept of "other".

This is me and this is not me.

Here is another example. If your arm were severed from your body and lay on the ground at your feet. Would you say that is still your arm? After all it is just a mass of cells laying on the ground. If it decomposed and became nutrients in the soil would you still say it is your arm? If those nutrients were adsorbed into plants would you still say it was your arm?

What is the point of these thought experiments? They are an attempt to turn your examination inward to look for where the self exists. If you examine it long enough you will discover there is no place that a self persists. There is an inflow of information through the senses but we are NOT this data. However; we react as if we are the data. This is why you say things like, I see this, or I hear that. You are trying to claim that you are experiencing a piece of data. No the data arises flows and ceases. No where is there a self that is experiencing the data.

We are taught the concept of self through our sense data. We attach to this concept as if it were real and important. The fact of the matter is, all there is, is the data. Nothing else.