confused negligence or malpractice

lecea

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 03:16 pm
Hi I am hoping to gain insight on something that is on my mind if you could help I would be thankful. About a year and half ago I got sick had to go to Er they informed me I had Graves so I went to my family doctor and asked why he never said I had Graves and I was told no you dont have that he checked me and found that I did have a nodule on my thyroid sent me for test and a biopsy when the results came back I was told it was not cancerous a simple goiter nothing to worry about was not put on any meds for the thyroid and was some people are just ment to be bigger than others I took that as a woohoo at least I dont have cancer I can live with that so I moved to sunny beaches recently got sick went to a new doctor where I live now he looked me over sent me to do more test and he informs me that not only do I have one mass on the right but I have one on the left and three new ones coming in on the back and one on the front and that the biopsy I had done a year ago could not have told me that is was not cancer because there was no thryriod tissue taken and that I have to go threw it all again . The hurtful part of this is I trusted him and I feel he should at least be held made to say hes sorry or something I want to file a complaint against him at his hospital but not sure if i can. Again thank you for taking the time to read and any advice you could give would be helpful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 758 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Zarathustra

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 03:43 pm
@lecea,
The fact that you have more nodules is not generally a concern. Doctors can tell if you need any type of therapy by any number of tests. In many cases no treatment is indicated.

What makes me suspicious of this post is the doctor who told you the biopsy contained NO thyroid tissue and so was unless. Unless it was a cystic nodule simply filled with fluid how in the heck do yo take a biopsy of the thyroid gland without getting any thyroid tissue in the biopsy whatsoever. That would seem to be a neat trick. What was the tissue in the biopsy Captain Crunch?

Personally I would be more concerned with my current condition that getting an apology from a doctor.

By the way how did this post get three thumbs up virtually two minutes after being posted?
jespah

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 04:13 pm
@lecea,
Go to an attorney and tell him or her what you told us. Somebody specializing in malpractice law. Because your question requires a lawyer to give you specific legal advice and we don't do that here (our Terms of Service forbid it).
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 05:18 pm
@lecea,
Your CURRENT doctor should request all records from that last Dr. Sign the papers for the request.

They ought to tell you something.

BTW - a year and a half is a short time for changes in nodules and/or tumors. They can grow very fast. My husband had a tumor, it was removed, then it was back just a year later - same place. Most nodules are not cancerous.

I will keep you in my prayers.

lecea

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 07:42 pm
@Zarathustra,
I am seeing an endocrinologist now as far what was in the biopsy tissue I'm not sure I just know the results that were faxed to him from the hospital where the biopsy was taken. About being worried over the now yes I am very because I wouldn't have a current issue had it been treated a year ago its kinda scary to go from it maybe cancer to not cancer to by the he shouldn't have been able tell you that because of test was inconclusive and needs to be redone the waiting is worse than the test hope you or anyone you know never have to go threw it.

Btw don't really care about the thumbs up
0 Replies

lecea

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 07:51 pm
@jespah,
Oh okay thank you I was not sure what I was allowed to ask this was my first post
0 Replies

lecea

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 08:00 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thank you prayers to you and your family to. I have signed releases we are just having a hard time getting them all we get a report here and there and I have to keep calling them while in dr office and have them fax it while I stand there crazy I know.
0 Replies

Zarathustra

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 09:50 pm
@Zarathustra,
The thumbs up was a question to the community, things work in inscrutable ways here in my opinion.

As far as the thyroid issues. Nodules are verrrrry common and run in families. The nodules are rarely cancerous. And, God forbid, one or more turns out cancerous they are usually very slow to metastasize and survival rates for most ( especially the most common) is virtually 100% for stages I and II. As cancers go even survival rates of stages III and IV are very good usually approx. 90% and over 50% respectively. The surgery is relatively simple, with quick recovery times and without any real major side effects to worry about.

I know this can be frightening but if I was going to have to get cancer I'd choose thyroid cancer. So calm down as much as you can, for now there is not a strong reason for worry about the wasted time.

And yes thyroid problems run in my family. I was hyper twice at 14 and 31 and am now hypo at 55. Several other members have had issues also, we are all fine. Good luck and don't worry until you need to!
0 Replies