The elimination of Time and Space

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 03:33 pm
Time and Space can be eliminated without upsetting the natural order.

1) The elimination of TIME
Events do not come before or after other events. Before and after are themselves the names of events that have not been described.

For example, I ask a question (event 1) and you reply (event 2). Event 1 does not come before or after event 2. We simply communicate.

If we say that event 1 comes "after" event 2, then we are actually associating one of these events with a third event, such as the position of the hands of a clock. We then call that association "before" (or "after").

2) The elimination of SPACE
The length of a line is the number of events on the line.

For example, line 1 is longer than line 2 because there are more events on line 1 than line 2.
line 1 ---^-----
line 2 ------------------------------------

Normally, we say that line 2 is longer than line 1, even though line 1 has more events. However, "longer" is itself the name of another event, an event that is invisible or rarely described. We construct that event ourselves, by making a new geometrical construction. We might use the limits of the page or margins for our new construction. This construction will incorporate line 2 into a line that has more events than line 1. We then say that line 2 is longer than line 1, even though we are not talking about line 2, but about the longer line that incorporates line 2.

Concluding, the elimination of Time and Space is, in fact, a clarification of temporal sequence and length, a clarification which removes any relative distinctions normally associated with before, after, and longer, shorter.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,935 • Replies: 41

farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 03:36 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
try to make your arguments without relying on the very words you wish to deny.

You don't get out much do ya?
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 03:47 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

try to make your arguments without relying on the very words you wish to deny.

You don't get out much do ya?

WE both know you couldn't have read it between the time of my posting and the time of your replying. Is this called trolling?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 03:52 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
There was an interesting scifi play on TV a while back, I forget the title, but a scientist has some sort of accident in the lab, and when he regains consciousness in a hospital bed, a colleague visits him and they begin chatting and asking questions about the accident.
But the injured scientist seems to be talking disjointed jibberish and it's impossible to hold a conversation with him.
But when watching a tape of the chat later, his colleagues realise that the guy is answering questions BEFORE THEY'VE BEEN ASKED, as if his accident has somehow jumped him forward in time, so that he now exists in a different "time stream"..Smile
fresco

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 04:41 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
Quote:
For example, I ask a question (event 1) and you reply (event 2). Event 1 does not come before or after event 2. We simply communicate.

No. It should be obvious that the size of "an event window" is arbitrary, that's all. All you have done is extend the event window to be "the communication".

The rest of your conjecture seems to ignore that the measurement of the single entity space-time is relative to an observers frame of reference and the assumption of the constancy of the speed of light. As Einstein showed "sequencing" itself depends on this.

Quote:
Man ( the human observer) is the measure of all things
PROTAGORAS circa 450 BC

farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 05:02 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
Quote:
WE both know you couldn't have read it between the time of my posting and the time of your replying. Is this called trolling?

You nust think that you've written something worth spending time over. I read it and picked out the weakness right off
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 05:33 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:

No. It should be obvious that the size of "an event window" is arbitrary, that's all. All you have done is extend the event window to be "the communication".

The rest of your conjecture seems to ignore that the measurement of the single entity space-time is relative to an observers frame of reference and the assumption of the constancy of the speed of light. As Einstein showed "sequencing" itself depends on this.

"Communication" identifies two events - my talking and you replying. A reply can only be said to come after or before my talking if a third event is referenced. like a clock event. However, that third event also cannot be said to be before or after except by reference to a fourth event, ad infinitum.

Space-time is the idea that when things go fast they shrink, but that that shrinkage cannot be measured by the thing that has shrunk, which is obvious in any case. If everything gets bigger then everything still looks the same, etc.

So space-time relativity, on my reading, is a physical effect that happens when things go fast, and need not be anything to do with a supposed space or time.
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 05:33 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:

You nust think that you've written something worth spending time over. I read it and picked out the weakness right off

Pay the minimum wage.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 06:08 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Maybe we can eliminate the meaning of Words too. That would be handy wouldn't it, then we could say any damn thing we want and claim it made sense.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 06:30 pm
Relativity and space-time are funny stuff, it's as if it automatically stretches or shrinks to keep the laws of physics in balance.
For example the guy in the top pic bounces a ball straight down, a total distance of say 8 feet from hand to ground and back to hand.
BUT if he bounces it straight down in exactly the same way while travelling at speed in a railway carriage from left to right (bottom pic), it's still 8 feet in HIS frame of reference, but to an outside observer looking through the carriage window, the path of the ball is stretched out from A to B, say 50 feet because by the time it returns to his hand, he and the train have travelled from A to B.
Therefore to compensate, space-time SLOWS DOWN for the guy on the train in order to allow the ball to travel the longer distance relative to the outside observer, how spooky is that?

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/RelativityH_zps7a110ab4.png~original
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 01:03 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
Quote:
"Communication" identifies two events - my talking and you replying. A reply can only be said to come after or before my talking if a third event is referenced. like a clock event. However, that third event also cannot be said to be before or after except by reference to a fourth event, ad infinitum.

Of course "ad infinitum! ! Segmentation is a function of human need to "window" their experiences in chunks. At what point shall we start with the event call "your post"?.....the act of copulation which conceived you ? Smile
And you speak about "the natural order" without reference to the second law of thermodynamics which ostensibly gives "the direction of time". Now it be the case that "increasing entropy" also requires a human observer to define it, but as Ros has implied, philosophical deconstruction of all scientific terms tends to be a fruitless exercise in sophistry.

All that we call "measurement" starts at the nominal level ....i.e. naming/ counting "a thing"....and "thinging" is essentially a function of human needs to segment via a socially acquired set of spectacles called "language". You appear to be attacking "naive realism" without reference to its functionality, and without knowledge of the philosophy of language.
G H

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 01:59 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
Concluding, the elimination of Time and Space is, in fact, a clarification of temporal sequence and length, a clarification which removes any relative distinctions normally associated with before, after, and longer, shorter.

After two hours of struggle, poor Hugo finally got the glue-balls detached from the blades of the ceiling fan. But then they slipped and flew downward from his tugging grasp to firmly stick against the lounge chair and the lamp shade. "Those damn things are about something yet again!" he cursed.

http://plus.maths.org/content/cognition-brains-and-riemann

Modern neuroscience suggests that number, space and time aren't so much features of the outside world but more a result of the brain circuitry we evolved to move around in it. And this circuitry is all about judging less than/greater than relationships. In the 19th century the mathematician Bernard Riemann suggested that the mathematical ideas of space, quantity and measure should not depend on the outside world, but defined abstractly and in relation to each other. Joselle DiNunzio Kehoe finds some interesting parallels between these two ideas...
Razzleg

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 02:31 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Events do not come before or after other events. Before and after are themselves the names of events that have not been described.

"Before" and "after" are not, in fact, "names" -- they are descriptive terms, usually used as an adverb, which implies, that despite your strange and absolutely, unsupported declaration, they must necessarily pertain to described events. The terms "before" and "after" are, in English, pretty essential to regulate the narrative structure of events...

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

If we say that event 1 comes "after" event 2, then we are actually associating one of these events with a third event, such as the position of the hands of a clock. We then call that association "before" (or "after").

Who, exactly, would treat event 2 as if it occurred after event 1?

i agree that event 1 and event 2 are related by a common causal structure, and rarely occur unlinked, but it is ridiculous to think that their sequence within that structure is arbitrary. After all, if a person were to walk around saying' " A carrot, a carrot, a carrot..." were to be asked, "Do you know of an orange root vegetable?" --- The two halves of that exchange would not be the same if two people were engaged in conversation, and one asked, " Do you know of an orange root vegetable?", and the other answered, "A carrot." "Event differentiation" is not a significant factor, but "language sequence" and its importance representing the former is...

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

For example, line 1 is longer than line 2 because there are more events on line 1 than line 2.
line 1 ---^-----

Normally, we say that line 2 is longer than line 1, even though line 1 has more events. However, "longer" is itself the name of another event, an event that is invisible or rarely described. We construct that event ourselves, by making a new geometrical construction. We might use the limits of the page or margins for our new construction. This construction will incorporate line 2 into a line that has more events than line 1. We then say that line 2 is longer than line 1, even though we are not talking about line 2, but about the longer line that incorporates line 2.

I feel as if you are still writing about time here...and you do recognize that you're being silly here, yes? The "line", in this debate, only exists as a representation of events -- what does it represent otherwise? -- and so the length is determined by the number of events. If one timeline is to be represented as longer then it must incorporate the representation of more events/actions. If you want to create a system of temporal representation that does not depend upon a "timeline" format, then do so, but don't try make your poor attempt at subverting a current method of temporal representation seem impressive by insisting upon some half-assed typological change.

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Quite the contrary, "before" and "after" are clarifying terms, the only use of which is about individual components that causal systems involve.

"Longer" and "shorter" are, in fact, terms subject to measurement and representation, but the scale of each is neither applicable or reducible to abstract systems. They only have meaning when referred to unique objects...thus "space"/ old school "extension" cannot quite be eliminated...
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 05:27 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:

Of course "ad infinitum! ! Segmentation is a function of human need to "window" their experiences in chunks. At what point shall we start with the event call "your post"?.....the act of copulation which conceived you ? Smile
And you speak about "the natural order" without reference to the second law of thermodynamics which ostensibly gives "the direction of time". Now it be the case that "increasing entropy" also requires a human observer to define it, but as Ros has implied, philosophical deconstruction of all scientific terms tends to be a fruitless exercise in sophistry.

All that we call "measurement" starts at the nominal level ....i.e. naming/ counting "a thing"....and "thinging" is essentially a function of human needs to segment via a socially acquired set of spectacles called "language". You appear to be attacking "naive realism" without reference to its functionality, and without knowledge of the philosophy of language.

Your response was set up as a disagreement but I do not see any points marking a disagreement.
Even though we talk about before and after, etc, in useful ways, we don't need to posit a space or time, nor a spacetime.
0 Replies

JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 05:35 am
@G H,
G H wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

After two hours of struggle, poor Hugo finally got the glue-balls detached from the blades of the ceiling fan. But then they slipped and flew downward from his tugging grasp to firmly stick against the lounge chair and the lamp shade. "Those damn things are about something yet again!" he cursed.

http://plus.maths.org/content/cognition-brains-and-riemann

Modern neuroscience suggests that number, space and time aren't so much features of the outside world but more a result of the brain circuitry we evolved to move around in it. And this circuitry is all about judging less than/greater than relationships. In the 19th century the mathematician Bernard Riemann suggested that the mathematical ideas of space, quantity and measure should not depend on the outside world, but defined abstractly and in relation to each other. Joselle DiNunzio Kehoe finds some interesting parallels between these two ideas...

We can say "it's all in the head anyway" if we want. But we should not go on from there and give externality a get-out by saying that we evolved externality by interaction with the outside world.

Riemann ought to know that mathematical syntax is modelled on the external world. For example, signs in maths and in the world don't disappear.
0 Replies

JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 05:40 am
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

"Before" and "after" are not, in fact, "names" -- they are descriptive terms, usually used as an adverb, which implies, that despite your strange and absolutely, unsupported declaration, they must necessarily pertain to described events. The terms "before" and "after" are, in English, pretty essential to regulate the narrative structure of events...

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Who, exactly, would treat event 2 as if it occurred after event 1?

i agree that event 1 and event 2 are related by a common causal structure, and rarely occur unlinked, but it is ridiculous to think that their sequence within that structure is arbitrary. After all, if a person were to walk around saying' " A carrot, a carrot, a carrot..." were to be asked, "Do you know of an orange root vegetable?" --- The two halves of that exchange would not be the same if two people were engaged in conversation, and one asked, " Do you know of an orange root vegetable?", and the other answered, "A carrot." "Event differentiation" is not a significant factor, but "language sequence" and its importance representing the former is...

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

line 1 ---^-----

I feel as if you are still writing about time here...and you do recognize that you're being silly here, yes? The "line", in this debate, only exists as a representation of events -- what does it represent otherwise? -- and so the length is determined by the number of events. If one timeline is to be represented as longer then it must incorporate the representation of more events/actions. If you want to create a system of temporal representation that does not depend upon a "timeline" format, then do so, but don't try make your poor attempt at subverting a current method of temporal representation seem impressive by insisting upon some half-assed typological change.

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Quite the contrary, "before" and "after" are clarifying terms, the only use of which is about individual components that causal systems involve.

"Longer" and "shorter" are, in fact, terms subject to measurement and representation, but the scale of each is neither applicable or reducible to abstract systems. They only have meaning when referred to unique objects...thus "space"/ old school "extension" cannot quite be eliminated...

I already said that before and after were descriptions that had not been explicitly presented.

The initial absurdity of my post was the challenge to overcome, not regurgitate. Lines and duration can be measured, but measurement introduces a whole new geometry based on the situation being measured.
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 06:08 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

There was an interesting scifi play on TV a while back, I forget the title, but a scientist has some sort of accident in the lab, and when he regains consciousness in a hospital bed, a colleague visits him and they begin chatting and asking questions about the accident.
But the injured scientist seems to be talking disjointed jibberish and it's impossible to hold a conversation with him.
But when watching a tape of the chat later, his colleagues realise that the guy is answering questions BEFORE THEY'VE BEEN ASKED, as if his accident has somehow jumped him forward in time, so that he now exists in a different "time stream"..Smile

That would only be possible if there were two worlds so that two different constructions of before and after can be made. Though, by my lights, there would be no contradiction in responding before asking if all that was happening was the communication itself. The contradiction would be in supposing that there were two worlds that did, and did not, allow relationships between them such that we could say that he responded before we asked.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 06:44 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
Yes it's fun to speculate and put forward various ideas etc..Smile
As I said, time is a funny thing; for example I was once at home alone aged about 25 up in my room, when I heard the rest of the family arrive home after a shopping trip.
I heard their voices in the street, i heard our gate unlatch, i heard the key going in the front door, and i heard their voices and footsteps spill into the hall.
I went down to greet them but there was nobody there, just me alone in the house.
Later I read in a paranormal book that it's a not-too-uncommon phenomenon and even has a name- 'False Arrival'.
Later the family arrived home for real and I discreetly asked them if they'd been back earlier, and they answered "of course not, what do you mean?", so i said no more.
I regarded it as an intriguing incident, maybe it was a timeslip or auditory hallucination, i just don't know.
After reading about other peoples FA's i think i see a pattern and trigger, for example some were involved in doing something that involved a heavy mental workload at the time, such as doing a firms accounts.
I was concentrating hard on building a fiddly model sailing ship at the time of my own incident.
Razzleg

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 12:39 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

I already said that before and after were descriptions that had not been explicitly presented.

Actually, no, that's not what you wrote; you wrote that "before" and "after" were "names of events that have not been described" not descriptions of events both past and present (that may or may not have "been" [how does that work, tense-wise?] "named"). Both "the past" and "the present", seem to be, as aspects or concepts, instrumental participants in the description of observed/experienced events, precisely as regards their temporal sequence.

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
The initial absurdity of my post was the challenge to overcome, not regurgitate.

An example of not-so-oddly, defensive word-salad. How am i to interpret your challenging "absurdity"? You started off your statements by not trying too hard to make much sense, in the hope that others could and would make sense of your exposition for you? Without, you hoped, repeating your nonsense to you? Que?

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
Lines and duration can be measured, but measurement introduces a whole new geometry based on the situation being measured.

Huh? What?

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
Lines and duration can be measured [...]

Yep?...

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
...but measurement introduces a whole new geometry based on the situation being measured.

How so?
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 01:55 pm
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Actually, no, that's not what you wrote; you wrote that "before" and "after" were "names of events that have not been described" not descriptions of events both past and present (that may or may not have "been" [how does that work, tense-wise?] "named"). Both "the past" and "the present", seem to be, as aspects or concepts, instrumental participants in the description of observed/experienced events, precisely as regards their temporal sequence.

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
The initial absurdity of my post was the challenge to overcome, not regurgitate.

An example of not-so-oddly, defensive word-salad. How am i to interpret your challenging "absurdity"? You started off your statements by not trying too hard to make much sense, in the hope that others could and would make sense of your exposition for you? Without, you hoped, repeating your nonsense to you? Que?

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
Lines and duration can be measured, but measurement introduces a whole new geometry based on the situation being measured.

Huh? What?

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
Lines and duration can be measured [...]

Yep?...

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
...but measurement introduces a whole new geometry based on the situation being measured.

How so?

This is what was meant. Before and after describe events, particular events, like the hands of a clock, or a train arrival. However, these descriptions are never given.

Before and after are not on any time-line. They are events that CAN be described, but have NOT been described.

Einstein wanted people to overcome the apparently initial absurdity of his ideas. He did not want them to regurgitate the absurdity - to simply repeat the fact that it was absurd. That's the word salad made clear.

When you measure the length of a line you introduce points that are not on the line. Points such as the start and end of the measuring stick, the marks on the stick, the relationship of the marks to other measuring sticks, and to other objects, lke our height, etc etc. You aren't simply measuring "the line".
0 Replies