Teen just started dating

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 11:22 pm
My 13 year old daughter just got her first boyfriend a few months ago. I've met him briefly and he seems to be a nice boy. I trust them together however; I've noticed that since it has happened, my daughter has been less likely to share personal information with me such as how her day went, what's new in her life, etc. Are the two events correlated at all? Has anyone else experienced this?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 12:02 am
@soccermom22,
soccermom22 wrote:
My 13 year old daughter just got her first boyfriend a few months ago. I've met him briefly and he seems to be a nice boy. I trust them together however; I've noticed that since it has happened, my daughter has been less likely to share personal information with me such as how her day went, what's new in her life, etc. Are the two events correlated at all? Has anyone else experienced this?
We have no way of knowing.

Ask her.

David
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 12:35 pm
@soccermom22,
Uh, oh
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 12:58 pm
@soccermom22,
Hard to tell. She's in that push/pull years - pushing you away one minute, then clinging to you the next. Peers start becoming really important, too, in fact even more important than parents.

Keep things warm and inviting with her and be approachable at all times. While she needs to distance herself from you at this time, she may come running back as your little girl the next. Keep sharing your life with her even though she is mum about hers right now.
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 03:30 pm
@soccermom22,
As usual Punkey's given a really good answer. It's natural for her to be moving away from you - even if at other times she wants to still be your little girl. The boyfriend is just part of that process. It sounds like you've already got a good relationship which is a great basis to make it through the teen years. Be honest and frank with her and make sure she has lots of information....it will keep her safe.
0 Replies