HELP HELP, can any native speakers help me check my grammar~~

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2013 01:57 am
need to hand in my essay final draft...wanna make sure i don't make some silly mistakes...
just 2 parts need to be checked, thanks a lot!!!
1. Less national identity would become another serious obstacle that stops new immigrants from accepting new cultures. Imagine, if a person’s original culture, language, is not admitted and accepted by his new country, it is almost impossible for him to grow a sense of unity and try to assimilate into its culture. The negative feeling caused by less national identity would likely make him reject the new culture, not to mention assimilating into it.Therefore, the hypothetical benefit of making English official is unjustified.

2.The enforcement of English as the official language in the United States will seriously go against the American spirit; it is not really able to consolidate the status of English; and it causes the government to run into a bunch of sticky operational problems.
(Number 2 is my thesis statement, my teacher says she is not sure about what "it" refers....

Thanks a lot~!!!!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,025 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2013 01:12 pm
@98future,
Quote:
.The enforcement of English as the official language in the United States will seriously go against the American spirit
Somewhat OT 98 but as a practical matter it's most important in order to avert calamitous misunderstandings

For instance, climbing to the roof to check on its progress, when the Mex-Am worker asked me, "Is the electricity off?" I supposed he simply didn't want to get shocked and so I replied "Yes, of course," whereupon I was later shocked to find all the wiring to my swamp cooler had been torn out. I was flabbergasted to learn, if you translate his phrase into Spanish then back into English, it asks whether the wiring should be removed
contrex

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2013 02:52 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
I was flabbergasted to learn, if you translate his phrase into Spanish then back into English, it asks whether the wiring should be removed

Whoever told you that was not exactly right. Spanish is flexible enough to encompass "Is the electricity turned off?" and also "Do you want me to remove the wiring to the swamp cooler?"
dalehileman

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 09:45 am
@contrex,
I'm sure you're right Con, not my intention to demean the Spanish tongue nor Hispanic worker, merely observing what sort of incfredible misunderstandings can arise from a less-than-fluent command of our complex language
contrex

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 03:50 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

I'm sure you're right Con, not my intention to demean the Spanish tongue nor Hispanic worker, merely observing what sort of incfredible misunderstandings can arise from a less-than-fluent command of our complex language

It is significant that you do not think to blame your clearly less than fluent command of their complex language, which is equally responsible for the situation you described.

dalehileman

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 03:59 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
It is significant that you do not think to blame your clearly less than fluent command of their complex language, which is equally responsible for the situation you described.
That might apply, Con, if it were I roofing a home in Mexico
0 Replies