Canada Recommends Fewer Mammograms

Foofie

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 01:36 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Do German women tend toward diabetes II?

In my opinion, they tend to be frustrated, in that a generation or two ago they were just hausfraus taking care of der kinder. Today they have to go out and work, oftentimes. Or, maybe I'm talking about all women in the developed world?
Miller

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 01:37 pm
So, what's this got to do with mammograms in Canada?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 01:39 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
Funny thing, getting back to why German woman might tend to be very fat, especially ( according to the article ) in their butts is because the Germans favor diets enriched in fatty foods.
I've only got data in German, from the micro-census 2009. But you'll get it ...

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps4294fde8.jpg
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/b_zpsfc36005b.jpg

Miller

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 01:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Look at the internet and you'll get a different view of the body types of women throughout Europe. German ladies and Dutch ladies have much n common, especially in their lower and posterior areas.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 01:54 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
Quote:
Overall, diabetes had been 
diagnosed in 7.2% of the adults (7.4% of the 
women; 7.0% of the men). T
Source: Prevalence and temporal trend of known diabetes mellitus.
Results of the German Health Interview and
Examination Survey for Adults (DEGS1)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 02:04 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
If Europeans have different, and more nuanced definitions, I think that is cute; ...
Well, I've just looked through some US-American map collections, both academic and commercial: they all start their lists "Europe" with Central & Northern Europe, Schedel1493 ...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 02:06 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
If there is a central Europe, shouldn't there be a Europe on the perimeter?
You mean like Perimeter-Asia or Perimeter-Africa?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 02:09 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Look at the internet and you'll get a different view of the body types of women throughout Europe. German ladies and Dutch ladies have much n common, especially in their lower and posterior areas.
I don't have to look at the internet - I can see it with my own eyes (The Netherlands, it's two weeks ago.)

But I know: you only trust data from peer-reviewed scientific ..... oops, internet you said?
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 04:22 pm
I have a mammogram every year and live in Ontario. Not sure about the other provinces, but here, at least, my experience belies the information in that article. Breast denseness plays a role in the recommendations.

It's all paid for, and I get a reminder every year to book the appointment even.

Aside from that, my doctor exams my breasts at every physical, which I try to do every year or so. She asks, too, if I self examine.

FWIW
Miller

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 12:51 pm
@Joeblow,
You didn't mention either your age, or your history of breast cancer or the history of anyone ( male or female in your family) having a history of cancer.

Medscape is a publication concerned with developments in the field of medicine.

As stated previously, American women who lack health insurance and/or are lacking in funds can receive free mammograms in the US. Incidentally, mammography is restricted in Canada, due to the cost of the procedure ( see publication above). Thus it may be free to Canadian women, but the terms are obviously very restricted, due to the cost to the Canadian Government.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 01:10 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
Incidentally, mammography is restricted in Canada, due to the cost of the procedure ( see publication above). Thus it may be free to Canadian women, but the terms are obviously very restricted, due to the cost to the Canadian Government.
You quote Fran Lowry with an article from Nov 28, 2011 in Medscape.
Medscape is a web resource for physicians and other healthprofessionals.

What isn't mentioned in your quote and what you disregard as well, is quite important though: screening programs in Canada are organised by the provincial and territorial governments, not by "the Canadian Government".

Besides that, women of any age can get it as often as they wish with a health care provider’s referral.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:10 am
@Miller,
Hi Miller. I'm glad that you're interested and that you posted the topic for discussion. I responded because the article was contrary to my experience. And now its prompted me to look it up.

I'm glad you're bringing attention to an important health issue. Here's a link to the Ontario Cancer Care site. You may find it interesting.

https://www.cancercare.on.ca/cms/one.aspx?portalId=1377&pageId=288730

Quote:
Women confirmed to be at high risk for breast cancer are recommended to have yearly mammograms and breast MRIs between the ages of 30 to 69
Women at average risk for breast cancer are recommended to have a mammogram every two years between the ages of 50 to74
The OBSP was launched in 1990; the OBSP high risk screening program began in July 2011
Approximately 34,000 women (aged 30 to 69 years) in Ontario are at high risk for breast cancer
Genetic assessment (i.e., counselling and testing, if appropriate) is available to women with a referral from a physician, sent either directly to the genetics clinic or via the OBSP for women aged 30 to 69

As for me, I have no personal or family history of cancer of any kind. No cysts, or other potential scares like that either. But, I do have dense breast tissue.

Do you believe that all women should have yearly mammograms regardless of risk factors? What age should they start?
Miller

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 08:41 pm
@Joeblow,
Joeblow wrote:

Do you believe that all women should have yearly mammograms regardless of risk factors? What age should they start?

In the USA, physicians would like to see women under the age of about 40 years have a mammogram every 6 months. From the age of 45-65, physicians would like yearly mammograms. Above the age of 65, things seem to vary with the physician and the actual patient. Some physicians suggest a mammogram every 2-3 years until the age of the early 70s. Other physicians don't seem to have a cut off relative to age and allow elderly women ( age 80-90 ) to have mammograms every 1-3 years.

Who are the women at risk? First of all women who have a blood relative who's had breast cancer would be at risk. Women having genetic markers ( DNA scans ) which indicate a propensity for breast cancer. Women who have had any form of cancer, would also be at risk. Women younger than about 40 years appear to be at a greater risk than older women ( 60-85 ).

I personally question the use of mammograms in elderly women, unless these women do have a risk for breast cancer. However, if women have had yearly mammograms from age 40 to about 80 years, and all screenings have been normal, I personally would question continuing mammograms into the age range of 85-90+. I'd speculate that with age, there is an increased risk to the appearance of false positives on films taken, thus leading to needless additional tests and anxiety.

In Sweden, according to an article published in the New England Journal of Medicine early in 2013 or late 2012, it has been suggested that mammograms on Swedish women be stopped at age 69 ( studies based on statistics ).

There seems to be some variability in the age at which mammograms should be stopped. But, risk factors may be different for different women and each case has to be evaluated in it's own right.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 08:51 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Miller wrote:

In my opinion, they tend to be frustrated, in that a generation or two ago they were just hausfraus taking care of der kinder. Today they have to go out and work, oftentimes. Or, maybe I'm talking about all women in the developed world?

Back to the question of whether overweight German women have a higher or lower risk for diabetes. According to a book published in the Boston area on the topics of diabetes control, a good diabetic diet should contain reduced levels of sugar and it's suggested that a good additive to the diet is bacon.

I don't know how much bacon/week you should have in your diet, but I suppose one effect of the bacon is to decrease your hunger for carbohydrates. But increasing fat content in any diet will also increase calorie load.

So for German women who are plump, is there an increased risk for diabetes?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 11:58 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

So for German women who are plump, is there an increased risk for diabetes?
And why should this risk only be for German women? The overweight and obesity in Germany for women is below European average.
True, there are some plump females, but you'll find some in other countries as well.
True, ham/bacon is eaten here quite a bit, but this is done in other countries as well.

Is there a statistic about bacon eating plump German women as opposed to others?
Miller

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 05:49 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Is there a statistic about bacon eating plump German women as opposed to others?

I haven't seen one. However, a major diabetes research group suggests that bacon be part of the diabetic diet.

Also known: the use of statins to control and lower cholesterol levels may be related to an increased risk for diabetes.
0 Replies